Heading to NC, Kure Beach.... Any Help Appreciated

Pittflyguy

Pittflyguy

Hey All,

I am heading on a family vacation to Kure Beach in NC. We have a house on the beach so I plan on sneaking out for a bit of early AM or PM fly fishing in the surf.

I am armed with my trusty 8 wt, an intermediate line, stripping basket, etc....

I am guessing I will probably get a mixed bag of fish species this time of year.... anyone have some experience that they could send my way?

Fish to expect?

Fly selection?

Already packed various sized Clouser's, Deceiver's, Poppers, and some shrimp patterns.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I fished the outer banks a good bit. You'll be farther south, but the same stuff should work.

Firstly, on OBX, most of the clear water is south of the cape due to a SW prevailing wind. In looking at the lay of the land down there, the same should apply. If you can't find clean surf where you are, try heading around the cape. It's the difference between 8 inch croakers and a cooler full of 18-25 inch spanish, and I can't emphasize the importance enough for fishing OBX... so I'd keep that in mind.

You'll find blues and spanish mackerel in the surf, as well as the occasional king, shark, or cobia. Anything that resembles a baitfish should work.

Jay, as far as shock tippet goes were you using flouro or wire? If so what wt?

I used 40lb fluoro. Admittedly, the cross winds had me throwing more spinning rods than fly rods, but I don't see why it wouldn't be the same.

The 40 was usually good for a fish or two before it got nicked up good.

I try not expect specific fish. Tends to put me in the wrong direction more often than not. You have the gear and flies you need. If fish are there you will catch them and then concentrate on that fish. The best advice I could give is the look the troughs closest to the beach and fish them like a long pool either from the head or the tail. Bait fish tend to move parallel to the beach so should your fly. When are you going?

Tom,

Leaving on July 2nd. Staying for a week. Thanks for the help!

Lee

Ed Mitchell's Flyrodding the Coast has been a pretty informative read so far. He concentrates more on the North East, but the information in the book isn't neccessarily geographically centered (outside of the last chapter abotu where to fish in the NE).

If you're fishing the surf, take a surf rod or long heavy spinning outfit along as well. If conditions are terrible, at least you can still wet a line.

There is no better forum for Outer Banks fly fishing than this. As Tom said, go there not expecting to catch fish, so if you do it'll be a pleasant surprise!

What I said was don't go trying to catch specific species of fish. But your way could work too...

Back