Heading to Mcconnell's and possibly Slate Run Saturday...New Rod Thoughts?

M

mgh-pa

I decided to forgo the online retailers for now, and try my hand at upgrading my rod/reel by shopping locally. A buddy of mine was supposed to go with me last weekend to Slate run to take advantage of their 20% off when you bring in a kids rod to donate, but our schedules didn't allow time. I'm hoping the owners can help me with both my budget (preferably no more than $200-$250 for rod and reel) as well as where I fish (Lycoming, Pine, Little Pine, Loyalsock, etc.,).

Any thoughts on rods I should be looking at specifically? General advice? I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with an 8'6" 5wt (what I have now), but am open to suggestions and hope both places allow me to cast.

Absolutely hit McConnell's first thing.

McConnell's has a far better selection of rods to choose from, and they carry the Cortland series of rods - some great casting rods in that price point.

If you're after a good deal, it'll be tough to beat McConnell's. They'll take the time to make sure you get what you're looking for. Great fly shop, IMO.

I haven't bought a new fly rod in ten years this summer so I can't be of too much help there. If you're going to be fishing the Loyalsock much, I wouldn't hesitate to go to a 9' rod. I did a fair amount of fishing there about a decade ago and spent a lot of time with only couple inches of chest wader above the water and still trying to stretch the casts out. Pine can also involve wading deep and casting far. I miss fishing those larger streams up north. My grandfather had a cabin near the 'sock, which was like a second home in when I was in high school. I then went to college in Mansfield and fished Pine quite a bit. The Little Pine is where I caught my first fish on a fly... a nine or ten inch brown on a size 14 Adams on opening day. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Your post has brought back a lot of good memories.

I did use an 8'6" 4 wt for a lot of my fishing up there, so it can be done, but I think a 9' 5 wt is more at home.

I know haven't been much help, but I would consider the extra 1/2 foot of rod if you'll hit the bigger waters much.

It's pretty hard to purchase a fly rod without ever casting one. I always tell folks they should cast as many rods as they can before making a decision on a new rod. Have some one watch as you cast also.

Stop and check out McConnell's. I can assure you that Glenn will be more than happy to help you out. I'm sure he would allow you to test cast any rod that you may be interested in. I have bought a number of flyrods from Glenn and I test cast every one of them before purchase. Glenn runs a first class operation. :)

mgh-pa:

I'll be working at McConnell's beginning at 11a.m. and we'll be glad to have you cast some rods. When I work with someone purchasing a rod they usually get some subtle casting instruction thrown in, too. If you come in after 11 you can ask for Dave - that's me.

OldLefty,
Please check your PM

OldLefty wrote:
mgh-pa:

I'll be working at McConnell's beginning at 11a.m. and we'll be glad to have you cast some rods. When I work with someone purchasing a rod they usually get some subtle casting instruction thrown in, too. If you come in after 11 you can ask for Dave - that's me.

Sounds good! I'm going to try to make it, so if I do, I'll make sure it's after 11.

Back