Haystacks on the Loyalsock

C

crghss

It’s time again for my annual Turkey trip to Northcentral PA. Last year forum members where kind enough to direct me to Kettle Creek for some great fly fishing instead of my usual trip to the Upper Pine. This suggestion worked out great as we caught some beautiful Brookies, stocked I’m sure, on a great creek.

Some suggested to fish the Haystacks on/at Loyalsock in World End State Park. Would like to explore this idea on this years trip. So my questions are if I only have 3 to 4 hours to fish is that enough time to find and hike to the Haystacks? Or do I need a whole day for this endevour? With a 1.5 hour travel time to the creek and Turkey hunting in morning that’s not a lot of time left over for fishing.

Any other suggestions for great creeks near northern Tioga would be greatly appreciated. It maybe better to just go to the lower pine and fish that along with the Kettle once again.

Thanks for the responses

It's about two miles to hike to Haystacks. A bunch is on an old railroad grade and along the stream proper it's pretty level, so it's not a difficult hike. There are a couple of ways to get from the railroad bed to the stream bed, although there's about 200 feet of elevation between the two.

Just my $0.02, while the Haystacks is an interesting geological formation, and I've seen natives there in the summer (one of the coolest things I watched was about a 12" brookie holding in the water a few dozen yards below the Haystacks), I would not drive 1.5 hours one way to fish it. My brother caught a really nice rainbow a few hundred yards below the Haystacks one year, so there are also some stocked fish around, but I would not consider it a destination for fishing purposes. Especially if I was already in Tioga County, with all the streams you already mentioned much closer.

I agree with Salmonoid. The drive to the Sock from Tioga County + the hike may cause you to spend more time traveling and less time fishing.

If you're really itching to fish the Sock, I think that there are some nice stream access points within the state forest proper that require much less walking.

I agree, cool to see, not worth fishing.

So many smaller streams in the area worth checking out.

Kilgore_Trout wrote:
I agree with Salmonoid. The drive to the Sock from Tioga County + the hike may cause you to spend more time traveling and less time fishing.

If you're really itching to fish the Sock, I think that there are some nice stream access points within the state forest proper that require much less walking.

I don't recognize your handle on here but I bet you've read some Vonnegut. Lol. Sorry, not relevant to the thread at all but man I can get down on some Breakfast of Champions. I've got a degree in English so I've read a few novels. Good handle!

What part of Tioga co will you be in. As stated from anywhere in that county you will be well over an hour to get to Loyalsock creek and that would be from the south eastern part of the county. Pine Creek has some great tributaries to explore.

I am relatively new to the sport of fly fishing, so I'm on here often, but rarely post. I know a lot about literature, however. Glad you got the reference.

I’ll be driving up from Allentown area so maybe I’ll Stop at Worlds End state park on the way up if not I’ll need too leave the Haystacks till next year.

I stay near Cowanesque Lake, where RT 15 crosses into NY. Most good fishing is 45 minutes or more away.

I’ve decided to concentrate on Lyman Run and Pine Creek (Galeton). Never been to the Lyman Creek is that worthwhile trip?

Also will target the Pine Creek between Ansonia and Cedar Run. Are the only two access points Leonard Harrison State Park Visitor Center and TIADAGHTON REST AREA?

These are two’s stretches I’ve never fished. Any better idea’s let me know.

The rail trail runs the entire length of that section of pine Creek. There are 2 access points at the upper end one being darling run. This section is know as the past Grand canyon and there are not any ways in by road other than what you identified really.

Plus a mile hike to the bottom at Leonard Harrison SP, people actually do this?

I might actually have to do it just because it needs to be done!!!

crghss wrote:
Plus a mile hike to the bottom at Leonard Harrison SP, people actually do this?

Think of Leonard Harrison SP as a very cool VIEWPOINT over the Pine Creek gorge, not as a stream access point.

There are many access points to Pine Creek.

What you need is a map. This is the best map available for Pine Creek:

https://www.purplelizard.com/products/pine-creek-pennsylvania-grand-canyon

I am not very familiar with the area being discussed but I can totally agree with Troutbert on this one. Purple Lizard maps are the most high quality and detailed maps around. I didn't even know that there was a Pine Creek Map but I can certainly attest to the awesomeness of the Rothrock, Bald Eagle, Raystown, and Scotia maps as these are all very close to me and I've used them all. I'm hoping for a Tuscarora soon..

stop at my fly shop in Ansonia and I can give you a detailed map of pine and tribs here. I make maps with fishing spots and where to park.

I stop every year Bob and will probably see you Tuesday for some flys and info. And this year a map apparently.

Back