Hatteras NC in the Fall?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I'm trying to plan a vacation for myself and my fiance for this year.

I have access to a rental house in the village of Hatteras NC and I was thinking of going sometime between October 15th and November 15th. I don't want to be there in the midst of sweltering heat and I would like to do some fishing but driving up and down the beach isn't high on my prioty list. Mostly I just want to get away for a while and relax.

Have any of you been down their at that time of year and if so can you give me any idea of what to expect as far as fishing conditions and the general condition of the town of Hatteras at that time of year?

I mean, are things still pretty much open for business or do things wind down by then? Can I find food and beer or will I have to import everything? Fly fishing will be a preferred fishing method but I have plenty of surf casting gear at my disposal too.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
You'll be there during a good time. If it were me, I'd stake out the surf rod as this is during the "drum run." With regards to FFing, I'd bet you could have some luck with specs in the surf and maybe spanish. There are tarpon in that area but this is not traditionally a FF game and is usually over by early Oct. There should be stripers although the big bass run is usually later in the fall. Bluefish will be hot and heavy and there is a world class albie fishery off Harker's Island in Oct (this is mostly a boat game).
Good luck with your trip - let us know how the fishing was.

Ah-Tim-peak "cane" time-have an alternative plan.
When I use to go there every spring,back in the 50s,we had to take a ferry-now they have a bridge-if the fish are in the fishermen will be there.
wind ever present so take other tackle also.
If you have never caught big reds,worth hiring a guide for.
Good luck.

GO, Go Go, great time to be there. Check out the sound too. 8 wts for back water and small clousers, poppers are good. If you chuck a spinning outfit on beach clam will be a good bet for drum..

Incidentally, make a pilgrimage to "The Point" at Hatteras. It's perhaps the most famous spot in surf fishing lore. Just seeing the amazing wave action out on the Diamond Shoals - the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" - is worth the walk.
Personally, I'd leave the fly rod in the car at The Point. There will be a big crowd of drum bums there and, in my experience, they can be among the most surly fellas and probably wouldn't respond well to a FFer wading into their ranks. Unlike NJ or points north, surf fishermen in NC don't seem to be as understanding of FFers. Visit the spot anyway.

And by all means, get signed up and snoop around this site: http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/

Great information and if you have questions, you'll get straight answers regarding OBX fly fishing.

You'll be really close to Fat Albert time! I've spent many late Oct./early Nov. on & off of Harker's Island/Cape Lookout. If you are near a jetty, you hsould have a shot at them from shore. You'll know when they're around: look for the birds and the blitzes!

Also, You'll be in prime striper area. You might get into blues, too. You can hunt reds in the backwater, too.

Lots to do (angler ADD). ;-)

Tim,
My wife and I used to go to Hatteras Village and Ocracoke all the time in the Fall and it is very nice. It has changed a lot in the past 15 years and has become more popular and the beaches can feel crowded especially now that they have restricted access to some areas thanks to some enviromentalist lawsuites. The Fall beach access is much better than the Spring and is definitely the time to go. The weather is better in Mid October and you will see a lot more folks and there will be more stores and resturants available to you . Mid October is also when there are some local drum tournaments and that can make the beaches feel crowded My vote would be to go in Mid October if you want better weather and are in general vacation mode. If you want less crowded beaches and better fishing I would go in Mid-November. There is usually a good run of Fat Alberts/ False Albacore in November and they can be a blast to catch on light tackle.

Back