Hatch Identification

F

Fly5

Last evening roughly a half hour before dark there was a decent hatch on a small stream I was fishing. I snagged one and it was a yellowish cream color, and looked to be.a size 18 or 20. Unfortunately,I am not that good at identifying yet. What was hatching? The stream is near the Berks and Lehigh Co line, not sure if that matters. Thanks for any input.

That's impossible to answer, or even make a guess at, without further information. Were they mayflies, caddis flies, stoneflies, midges or something else?

Just use a fly that is that size and color.

Most fly shops will have size 18 sulphur comparaduns, which are smallish and yellowish.

And trout like those.

Redietz, They had upright wings, so I "think" that would be a Mayfly. Unless I broke off the tails when I grabbed one, it did not have any tails. I don't think I messed up the tails however. Like I said it was a pretty good amount of flies on calm water about 40yds downstream from a riffle.

Three pics below of a mayfly - caddisfly - stonefly.

Mayflies have 2 or 3 tails and upright wings that look like a sailboat

Caddisflies have no tail and their wings wrap over their body like a tent

Stoneflies have 2 tails that stick out at a 45* angle and they carry their wings flat over their body

Midges are small in size, have no tails and their rather thin wings lay flat over their body (in the water they are often seen splayed out)

Attachments

• mayfly.jpg
    mayfly.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6
  • caddisfly.jpg
    caddisfly.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 5
  • stonefly.jpg
    stonefly.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 8
  • midge.jpeg
    midge.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I have been only fly fishing for two years but somehow have been tying for a few more. It should have been the other way around. I have snagged Sulphurs in the past and yes they had tails, do caddisflies bounce up and down off the water? Unfortunately I am to busy to go back to the stream to observe more activity. I looked at a hatch chart and there really isn't much happening right now. Should I have posted this on the beginner forum?

Fly5 wrote:
Should I have posted this on the beginner forum?

It's perfectly okay here - not a problem at all.

Caddisflies can bounce around on the surface. There are small yellow stoneflies that flit around the surface as well.

Thanks for the info. I will try to go back for a closer look.

Fly5 wrote:
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I have been only fly fishing for two years but somehow have been tying for a few more. It should have been the other way around. I have snagged Sulphurs in the past and yes they had tails, do caddisflies bounce up and down off the water? Unfortunately I am to busy to go back to the stream to observe more activity. I looked at a hatch chart and there really isn't much happening right now. Should I have posted this on the beginner forum?

Yes sir, you're in the right place > great questions that many fly anglers are interested in.

I added a fourth pic in my my post above > the midge.

You now have examples of the four major types of adult aquatic insects that hatch in PA streams.

Mayfly - Caddisfly - Stonefly - Midge

As you can see each insect type has unique characteristics. I suggest you work on just identifying the type of insect on the water rather than the specific genus and species.

The easiest way to relate what you see to fly fishing is to ID the type of fly (let's say mayfly) and size (let's say size 18) and color (I'll say light like in cream, yellow or tan, rather than a specific color since an exact match is rarely important).

Okay, select a light-colored size 18 mayfly from your fly box....and have at it....wait, don't cast yet.

Another piece of the puzzle is the behavior of the insect on the water. Are the flies drifting motionless or active are the wings spent (splayed) on the water or upright? I usually dead-drift a fly first to risers, but sometimes adding a little movement during the presentation triggers the fish to strike.

It's great that you tie your own flies. My suggestion is to tie all four types of insects in different sizes and in dark to light colors.

Add a section of beetles, ants and maybe a hopper pattern and you should be ready for most hatches on any stream.

One of the most useful books for PA fly anglers I can recommend is the Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches by Meck and Weamer. It lists and has photos of all major insect hatches found in PA chronologically by hatch time and lists the major PA streams with the hatches, and also offers fly suggestions to hatch the hatch.

You can use that book to help ID insects and tie up the most common hatches for the streams you fish.

Again: Insect type > size > color light or dark > presentation > catch fish :)

Good luck with your fishing.

afish, some great advice. I will get that book, I also need to spend more time on the water. Both fishing and observing fly activity.
Thanks for all the replies!

Fly5, don't forget to pick up the occasional instream rock to learn what their nymphal or pupal forms look like too. Those are the stages that are of most importance.

Back