Hatch chart for Tioga River

JustFish

JustFish

Going to be fishing the Tioga River in Tioga County off of River Road in late April. I’ve had a hard time finding hatch chart information on the stream. Does anyone know what’s going on there late April. Any information is appreciated. Gonna fish for stockies and probably hit up some tributarys for Brookies.

I am not aware of a hatch chart existing for the Tioga River, the insects will be similar to tributaries to Pine and Lycoming Creek. If you have black and green elk hair caddis, and darker mayfly patterns 14-18 you will be covered. Basic nymph patterns of your preference and a couple wooly buggers and you will be set.

Thank you! Any chance of running into Hendrickson’s there?

there is some hendricksons, stone flys, lots of caddis too. will be there this spring checking on insects. not a lot because of the amd in the water though. upper tribs have some insect life and the headwaters of the river. spent a lot of time on Armenia mtn at my uncles campground in the 70's, river ran right by the camp, only 10 feet wide there

Sandfly, I’ll actually be fishing the upper section a couple miles north of the one tributary fall brook responsible for the mine run off. So hoping bug life is better there?

so far this is what I found
cream cahills - 14, 16
dark red quill (eporius)- 10,12
small Gordon quill--14
slender black stone - 14
golden stone - 6-14
spotted sedge - 14,16
black caddis - 14,16
little sister sedge - 14.16. 18
cream cranefly - 16
midges - 18, 20,24
dragon flys
hellgramites

I fished that area (above any AMD polluted tribs) in mid-June and there was a good variety of bugs.

So, you have a decent chance of hitting some hatches at other times as well.

At this time of year, wherever you fish, just keep in your vest or pack imitations for the typical major PA hatches of this time of year.

Just look at a general hatch chart for PA or the eastern US.

And if you are fishing at a different time of year, like late May / early June, be sure to have the imitations for the major hatches of THAT time period in your vest.

Or be a pack rat and carry all your flies all the time. Which makes for a full vest, but eliminates the hassle of rotating flies in and out.

Detailed hatch charts do not exist for all streams. But, you just don't need that. If you carry imitations for the major hatches, and a good variety of generic patterns, you'll be fine.

Back