Hat eyes, glasses or something else?

Letort

Letort

Last several years I have used the magnifiers on my hat that flip down. Not perfect, but serviceable.

Been thinking about getting a pair of Clic reading glasses that have a magnet at the bridge for ease of use.

What do you use (if you use) and what magnification do you like?

Last several years I have used the magnifiers on my hat that flip down. Not perfect, but serviceable.

Been thinking about getting a pair of Clic reading glasses that have a magnet at the bridge for ease of use.

I am able to get by with just eyeglasses though they are progressive lenses which apparently aren't for everyone. Not sure they magnify but so far they work and I am certainly in the geezer range.

I have a pair of Clics for for fly tying and the magnification is great. I purchased a 2.5 magnification, I was using Walmart cheaters and these are far superior by light years!

Hat glasses that flip down work for me. Fasten with little pin thing or you might lose them.

Combination of flip downs and progressive lensed eyeglasses.

If these are what you use, you may want to check which lens you have. Simple, one hand flip. Don't have to remove sunglasses. The lens is larger than other models, but has more ways to adjust how it folds. If you put a serious curve in your brim, the lens may be too long. The stainless clip is very firm.The clics would be fine for tying.
Mag Eyes Hat Eyes

Love the Clics. Very convenient and pretty durable. More expensive than the drug store cheaters that I used to use, but worth it to me.

I use clics, I think they are 2x magnification, I hang them around my neck when not in use, its so easy to lift them up and pop them together. I don't notice them after a while, until I need them, they don't get in the way of anything.

A pair of Onos polarized sunglasses with the small integrated bifocal lens. I bought them years ago on sale and don't remember the mag power, probably 1.5-2 is my estimate. Works great. I bought them long before I started fly fishing, so going from 6-8# spinning gear line to 4X or 5X tippet was a bit of a challenge. Not to mention the eyes on those ridiculously small lures; I mean flies.

I have been using Hat Eyes for a LONG time as they beat Flip Focals for a zillion reasons.

Flip down magnification also works regardless of whether you are wearing sunglasses or other eyeware versus having magnification integrated into sunglasses or eyeglasses.

The reason I mention that is there are LOTS of times when I am fishing that I am not using sunglasses or regular eyeglasses.

The only issues with flip downs is they really only work well with hats having a hard visor.

I don't know what magnification I use but it's a "working distance" thing so you have to experiment. The good news as you know, Hat Eye lenses are available separately so you only need to buy a new lens if the old magnification isn't working for you.

I just use a cheap pair of 3X reading glasses from Rite Aid, that I wear around my neck. I'm not performing surgery, so they do the job.

I have both. Started with Clics and they are nice and solid. I eventually moved to the hat eyes style (metal ones) and love them. They allow me to use one hand and easily flip them down or up as needed. The metal ones have adjustable range of focus and no need to remove sunglasses.

I purchased a pair of Clics primarily for tying. My eyesight is bad to begin with and the magnifiers have been a real benefit to me. I occasionally take the Clics with me on the stream, but I will probably get another pair so I don‘t lose the pair I absolutely need for tying.

I have a pair of sunglasses that a friend bought with magnification in the bottom of the lens. So far they work for me on the stream.

I've used Flip Focals for a long time, but have had the problem of them falling down, rather than staying in the flipped up position.

Is there a fix for this?

And do competing brands have this problem?

I've used Flip Focals for a long time, but have had the problem of them falling down, rather than staying in the flipped up position.

Is there a fix for this?

Not sure what fix would be to tighten the hinge part. These are my preferred magnifiers also. I have two pairs attached to two different hats and never had that problem.

I use these on a keeper - https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Glasses-Quality-Readers-Spring/dp/B07DZFTZVP/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1LAB7V3UXU50R&keywords=cheater+glasses&qid=1678023596&sprefix=cheater+glasses,aps,91&sr=8-6.

I like 2.5 X.

when tying on small flies I like to remove my sunglasses at dawn and dusk - that provides a clearer image.

I have the flip downs that clip on the glasses but can see my tippet and fly better with sunglasses off and cheaters on. BTW I use Smith glass lens sunglasses without scratches and reading glasses are still clearer without the Smiths on.

Costco baby! You can get a 4 pack of cheaters for $15 - $18. Before check out, go to the eyeglass counter. They will heat and custom fit to your head. Have them in +2.25, +2.50 and+2.75. Got pairs in most rooms in the house, in the car, on the desk at the office etc. 😂

Is there a fix for this?

Another reason to try Hat Eyes...

They are made of stainless steel and use a machine screw and Nyloc nut as a hinge so the tension is infinitesimally adjustable with a wider range of motion than Flip Focals.

Hat Eyes also come with two different length "arms" so you can position the lens differently and effectively change the working distance and flip the lens up and flat on top of your hat brim versus just under.

If you harvest parts from another pair of Hat Eyes, you can rig up a set-up like I have with magnifiers that flip up under the brim and a small LED light that pivots and flips up on top of the brim utilizing the same clip. ;)

Back