Harmans Cabins West VA

S

steve98

Just saw an episode about this place on Fly Fishing Chronicles.
Anyone ever been?
Anyone ever fish WVA?
Best time of year to fish?
Any info please.

Steve 98

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Fly-Fishing-Locations/Harman--039-s-in-October/30,42662.html

5 threads below yours.

CHeers

steve98,

I used to live in West Virginia, and am a frequent tourist. I really love West Virginia. That said, I have never fished Harman's Cabin's, but have always heard people say great things about their experience's there.

My favorite outdoor activity is a three day/two night canoe camping trip. I really need mother nature to help me out by providing enough water so that I am not doing an endurance test dragathon on water where I can catch trout fishing from my canoe.

I've only ever caught trout this way in very few rivers. The Delaware, Little Juniata, and Yellow Breeches Creek in PA. A stocked rainbow in the West Fork of the New River below West Jefferson, NC, and the South Branch of the Potomac River and very upper Greenbrier River in West Virginia. I have quite an inventory of wet suits and PFD's to safely navigate rivers when the water is high enough in West Virginia. These are not ideal weather conditions.

I have had great experiences at the Elk Springs Resort in Mounterville, WV. I've only fished it twice. The sulpher hatch is approximately around Memorial Day weekend. It is prolific and really starts to happen just as it is getting too dark to see.

The other time I fished there was the week after fourth of July. I am friends with the guide who was there at the time. We are the same age, 58. He is from Harrisburg and I am from Camp Hill. I have never fished like this anywhere else. We were using tiny flies. #32's on 10x tippet. One on the surface and one on the dropper. I caught everyone of them on the dropper.

I hope this helps you.

Harmons is fun, not cheap, but fun, especially if you have your better half along, she will enjoy the nice accomodations and some of the other things to do in the area. I found nothing better than coming off the stream at dusk, cracking a beer, and hitting the hot tub on the porch of the cabin, total heaven! the stream itself is ok, they stock the hell out of it, but it does have some hatches, and the fish do feed on the bugs, so it's all good in my book. I enjoyed my stay there, went a few seasons ago in the fall, no crowds, but the folks that were there were very friendly.
I will go back in a year or so, just so many other place to visit till then!

Back