Hardest place you've found to fly fish

I have never fished the Letort so I can't comment there. I fished the Logan Branch only once and i got skunked that day but it could have just been the day so I may agree with Wild-Trouter on that one being difficult.

I don't travel too much or leave my general home turf because why bother traveling when so much great fishing is so close by. The "local" stream that gives me the most trouble the most often is Tea Creek though. In fact it has been a long time since I've fished it so I should go back soon.

The hardest for me so far was this place . But once I figured it out, it became my favorite place to fish. Top water Bowfin, Snakeheads, LMB, what's not to love .

Attachments

• 53_59ba68cb5f515.jpg
    53_59ba68cb5f515.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 5
If I can cast easily, I don't call it difficult whether I catch anything or not.

Technically speaking.;-)

That certainly looks challenging Frederick. I once fished the pond in Fairfax Park (Fairfax County, VA) quite a few years ago. That was one of the weediest ponds/lakes I've ever fished. It was a nightmare even using Texas rigs and weedless poppers.

Frederick, I used to fish a swamp like that for bass. Very productive and some nice size bass, too. It was walking distance from a small campground where I held a season campsite.

After buying the farm, I sold the camper.

And when I'd get tired of cleaning the fly or lure after every cast, I'd switch to bait for catfish. It also had carp, but they didn't tend to be cooperative.

No idea if it had bowfin, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Glen Onoko

I can agree with Tea Creek.

I have had some stellar days there and some big fish too, but 50% of the time I get skunked.

With it only really being fishable for a half mile or so it doesn't leave much room/time to figure it out either.
Plus all it seems to take is one fisherman earlier in the day and it is shut down.

FarmerDave wrote:
Frederick, I used to fish a swamp like that for bass. Very productive and some nice size bass, too. It was walking distance from a small campground where I held a season campsite.

After buying the farm, I sold the camper.

And when I'd get tired of cleaning the fly or lure after every cast, I'd switch to bait for catfish. It also had carp, but they didn't tend to be cooperative.

No idea if it had bowfin, but I wouldn't doubt it.

I got a little worried when Dave said he "bought the farm" :-o ....then I figured it out.... :lol:

+1 on Tea Creek, Mike. That place has busted my balls a time or two. I've never caught any real big fish there, but they are some of the prettiest browns- especially right before they start spawning.

jifigz wrote:
That certainly looks challenging Frederick. I once fished the pond in Fairfax Park (Fairfax County, VA) quite a few years ago. That was one of the weediest ponds/lakes I've ever fished. It was a nightmare even using Texas rigs and weedless poppers.
Yeah I’m typically fishing in hydriilla and spaddleduck mixed together with duck weed as the icing on the cake . Great time when you get it down and most strikes are so aggressive that they get your adrenaline pumping to much which makes you prone to early hook sets and lost fish .

Attachments

• 9CBC31C1-A5BD-453C-96F1-DA076819B54F.jpeg
    9CBC31C1-A5BD-453C-96F1-DA076819B54F.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 2
jifigz wrote:

Lake Fairfax, I used to catch stocked trout out of there as a teenager.

I'd have to say Slate Run. I've never had much luck there, but that may have more to do with the time of year that I've gone. Conditions always seem to be low and clear.

It's funny how some of the hardest streams for some are the best for others, and vica versa. I think a lot of it come down to the style of fishing you do and are good at. I think that certain styles work better on some streams more than others.

Coty hit it.

I fish very well in low and clear. I actually look forward to those conditions as long as the trout aren't stressed.

As far as the Letort, wild trouter is right except some sections of the lower letort are not easy at all. Example: post road down to harmony hall. Most of it is so overgrown and makes it virtually unfishable.

Funny how it works-started flyfishing back in the early 60's when the two Ed's had their shop in Carlise-[sp?] --they were my gurus so felt comfortable with 5 foot bamboos and fishing all the limestoners in the area and down in Maryland and Penns... loved slate run also fishermans paradise at the time---but those freestoners like Kettle etc.. were a mystery to me.So being lazy and inept avoided them...
Toughest river I ever fished was the Yellowstone down in paradise valley and below once they stopped stocking the easy to catch rainbows- because of the size,wind and depth when the fish weren't on the feed it was tough,but so beautiful I loved her.Besides in those days when the stone was playing hardball you could slip into Armstrongs and always catch something if only itty bitties on hangy downs as Joe Brooks wife Mary use to say-

Anywhere there is multi-flora rose.

If we are talking about difficult technical streams and decent sized fish (because the little ones are easier to sneak up on and fool), then:

Letort (for all the reasons listed above).
Falling Springs (for me-I spook everything in that damn creek).
Valley Creek (believe it or not-the tiny ones are very catchable, but the 15"+ fish are wily as Hell).

All three for me can be terribly challenging to get close enough to deliver a soft presentation. At the end of the day you get tiler's knee.

Anywhere is difficult if you are not familiar with the stream. Once you fish anywhere long enough you will figure out where the fish are, what they feed on, and how to best catch them.

15 or more years ago I thought Valley was tough, but once you understand what I stated above then it becomes easier.

Once day I was walking out of a section of BFC and two other guys were walking into the pool I was just fishing. I overheard them say; "this is a technical pool and the trout are very educated". I did not tell them I just pulled 3 fish out of there, but if you are good at understanding what the trout are feeding on and how to best present your fly then it is not rocket science so to speak. I used to think BFC was REALLY TOUGH, but fishing it long enough you recognize some key factors to increase your odds.

Take time to observe the trout and look for the bugs in the air, on the surface, below surface or turn over rocks to find what may be moving about sub-surface. I think this is a critical yet basic method to success that is greatly overlooked by many.

Echo some above comments about Letort. Up until last March, I lived 3 minutes away, and used to fish it quite a bit. If you approach it like a typical freestoner, you won't do well. You need to fish water that's actually fishable, and really focus on your approach. The great thing about Letort is that outside of midge dries, you aren't usually cycling through patterns trying to find the right size or type of fly.

I predominantly fished it in the early evening, Spring through Fall, as there were always consistent midge hatches, and I feel that dries or emergers are easier there compared to nymphing, since you only have one layer of currents to deal with lol.

Kish and Honey give me fits time to time, and it's a little drive for me to try and fish them more consistently.

+1 for Falling Springs.

the only fish I saw on two trips there just wouldn't taker anything.

Mossy Creek in VA can be just as tough in low water, same as Valley Creek.

Minus the CV spring creeks which I would rank
1.) Letort - being the toughest
2.) Falling Springs
3.) Big Spring.
Two other streams that come to mind where I've had a good challenge would be Logan and Slab Cabin.

Back