Hard Chest Box vs. Soft Pack

DD those are some real good improvements there. I guess I have some work to do before spring.......Thanks

I'm still using the same Downs Box I purchased in 1984. I've made some modifications too but more aesthetic rather than practical like DD has done.

Love it!

Thanks .....I'm no Betsy Ross but it's set up exactly for how I fish. It doesn't mater if it's remote Brookie fishing or chasing the hatches, all I need to do is pull a pin and swap out boxes with the proper flies.

Delta, that looks like a knock-off of a military H-harness

I like the idea of putting the fly box in the last tray. I put foam in mine but am thinking about changing that.....Thanks for the upgrades

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Just an FYI Mike - I have all the materials needed to make new straps (with metal clips). I just gave WTT a set of longer straps (at the tying jam) that make it easier to fit over bulkier winter layers. They're donut friendly. :)

The offer is out there....

Thanks Ed. I will definitely take you up on that. But the donut still has to go :)

you guys are gonna make me dig out my downs and use it this year! I like those modifications, gonna have to get busy with mine! maybe a beer holder!! ha!

I have all hard chestboxes Fye, Richardson, FyteDeck, Downs and a Hatch. I don't like more than 3 boxes at any time and just plan according. I did mod the fye to hold a midge box.

Green ghost,

I'm sure you know this already but I thought I would mention it. The Downs has a lifetime warranty. I believe that Waterville and mike downs are who you will have to go through now that Hillie's is closed.

I have two downs, two backpacks (old and new model), two side pouches, gink holders, and nine trays total. I used to fish five tray but now try to keep it to three. I have a setup with more realist flies and another with attractor patterns. The rest of the trays have dries by season and terrestrials.

MKern,
Thanks. I did not know it. That pretty much clinches it. I'm going with Downs, 3-tray. Since I already have one (with a cracked frame), I can use those older trays as the "interchangables." Perfect.

Do you happen to have contact information for Mike Downs? Can't find anything online.

Chestflybox.net

This site looks familiar but I'm not sure it this will lead directly to mike downs. However, it does give a dealer list.

I do know they will only replace the broken part not the complete set. So you will only probably get the frame but not extra trays. It might be worth buying and extra tray or two while they ship the frame back though.

By the look of things the newer backpacks and side pouches aren't available for sale anymore.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:
I really love the Richardson pack but have had trouble recently with the way it sits on my particular (fat @$$ed) frame. I use an Orvis sling pack most of the time now, but the Richardson is a motivation to loose a few pounds. Even with the chest pack I Still used the sling pack for all the miscellaneous stuff.
Mike.

Just an FYI Mike - I have all the materials needed to make new straps (with metal clips). I just gave WTT a set of longer straps (at the tying jam) that make it easier to fit over bulkier winter layers. They're donut friendly. :)

The offer is out there....
Very nice straps they are too. Thanks again Ed

I own a Richardson 4 tray Deluxe chestbox and two Down's boxes , a three tray and a five tray. I like then ALL. I can't even imagine fishing without one strapped to my chest. I don't even notice the box until I need it. They are the best investment I have ever made as far a flyfishing equipment goes. Well maybe a couple of my flyrods would be close though. :-D

I own a Richardson 4 tray Deluxe chestbox and two Down's boxes , a three tray and a five tray.

Ed if your ever looking to get rid of those Downs you know who to get ahold of. :-D

delta_dog wrote:
I own a Richardson 4 tray Deluxe chestbox and two Down's boxes , a three tray and a five tray.

Ed if your ever looking to get rid of those Downs you know who to get ahold of. :-D
Dan, I'll keep that in mind.

Back