Happy Valley

klingy

klingy

Got to spend a long weekend fishing the streams in and around State College this past weekend (Oct. 18-21). We saw two other pairs of anglers, and had the streams to ourselves the rest of the time. Fall is my favorite time to fish, and this trip didn't disappoint. The slower pace, cool nights, and low angling pressure makes for some really enjoyable times on the stream.

Had two great hatches of what seemed to be BWOs (or some other small gray mayfly) on Penns and Kish. A size 18 parachute adams was a close enough match to get fish to take. Found one glide on Penns where I picked up 7 without taking more than a few steps from one spot.

Overall a great way to bring my fall fishing to mostly a close until spawning wraps up. Also got to take in the White Out on Saturday night. Watching Michigan lose will always make any trip better!

Streams Fished: Bald Eagle, Spring, Logan Branch, Frankstown Branch, Penns, and Kish.

Most productive Flies: Parachute adams, pheasant tail nymphs, caddis pupa, and october caddis dries

(PS - I don't know why some images show up sideways! If you click on them they might display correctly)

Attachments

• Bald Eagle Brown.jpg
    Bald Eagle Brown.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • Bow.jpg
    Bow.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Breakfast.jpg
    Breakfast.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Brownie.jpg
    Brownie.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Clear Morning.jpg
    Clear Morning.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Dropper Brown.jpg
    Dropper Brown.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Fattie.jpg
    Fattie.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Frankstown Run.jpg
    Frankstown Run.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Frankstown Trail.jpg
    Frankstown Trail.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Growing Season.jpg
    Growing Season.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Into the Woods.jpg
    Into the Woods.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Kish Colors.jpg
    Kish Colors.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Nymphing a Riff.jpg
    Nymphing a Riff.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 5
  • On Top.jpg
    On Top.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Penns Brown.jpg
    Penns Brown.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Penns Fall Flow.jpg
    Penns Fall Flow.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 4
  • Penns Reflection.jpg
    Penns Reflection.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Saturday Night Lights.JPG
    Saturday Night Lights.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Stocked Piggie.jpg
    Stocked Piggie.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Trestle.jpg
    Trestle.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Wild.jpg
    Wild.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 4
Great write up and beautiful pictures!
Some awesome water you fished there, no doubt.

Funny how no one around.

Just got a report from my son a few minutes ago, and he said spring was packed with guys on a Wednesday.

Maybe they just stocked it?
Jk, of course.

Looks like a wild rainbow in the second pic. Awesome pics and write up though, havent been out to central PA in a few years, i want to load the car and go now after looking at your report

Enjoyed reading your report and looking at those pictures.

Good think that fishing doesn’t require particularly good hearing because you probably couldn’t hear very well after that game. We are.

Some real beauties!

What campground did that pancake breakfast take place in??
That looks nice too.

:pint:

oh yeah, looks like you could use a bigger net too! :lol:

Very nice thanks for sharing!

Looks like a really fun trip, great pictures and thanks for sharing! I saw the pancake breakfast and yelled to my girlfriend why we never thought of that haha. The fall colors are really beautiful this time, makes the fishing that much better.

Spring is hit or miss for me, untouched or packed

Great writeup and pics (as usual). Ive never fished Penns during fall low flow, it almost looks like a completely different stream. I can remember back in late April struggling to try to wade on the downstream side of that big rock (6th pic from the bottom) to nymph the run on the left.

StreamBottom wrote:

What campground did that pancake breakfast take place in??
That looks nice too.

We stayed at Penn Roosevelt State Park. One of my favorite state park campgrounds. Rustic and remote, but close enough to hit the waffle shop in the morning to start a good day of fishing. or you can just have a camp breakfast! Have been camping there every fall for the past several years. Usually no one else there. Although it was a Penn state weekend, so it got a little more “crowded” with four other campers.

Great pics and sounds like an awesome trip! I've glad you had luck at Bald Eagle, I've never seen a thing there despite how good it looks.

cool pics klingy Bald Eagle is a great stream big water.

cool pics klingy Bald Eagle is a great stream big water.

Bald Eagle is a bad stream. Stay away from it. Far Far Away.

Back