Hands Down Best Rod You've Fished?

PoconoPaul

PoconoPaul

Recently as about a year ago I switched brands, going from St. Croix to Sage. Prior to this change I thought, at least for me and type of fishing I was doing that the St. Croix's were the best, but after having test cast a Sage VXP, I was really taken aback by the performance, accuracy and the ability to land a fly nicely on the water that thes rods offered.

Now I am not trying to sell or promote Sage here as the best all world, they are just what works for me, however being I don't consider myself a rod afficinado by any stretch, nor one to carry multiple brands I do wonder what other brands others use, and what particular rod model others use and what they like about them.

Hardy Sintrix 1pc... hands down

Hard to pick just one so I have included what I consider great rods. Sage "SLT" 9' 5 weight and 8 1/2' 4 weight. Also a Loomis "GL3" and Sage VT2 both 9' 6 weights. A Sage "TXL" 7' 4 weight and I have to include the Cortland "Brook" 10' 5 weight also. It is a favorite nymphing rod. IMO there are a number of great rods on the market, you just have to find those that you like and fit your style.

TFO Ticr 6 wt saltwater series rod. Its the best streamer rod I have ever owned.

TFO Bvk in any weight is hard to beat. I love my 5 wt so far but I havent had it long.

Though not current, I have to believe the Loomis IMX was one of the better ones. I've owned three and still hold on to a sweet little 7-1/2' 4 weight, three piece. The Winston LT 4 piece 5 wt is also a nice one.
Hands down the very best? EC Powell 8-1/2' 5/6 weight or Payne 100.

like wtt,
My Sage SLT 9'ft 5wt for most conditions
high water: Z-axis 9 ft 6wt

I have two St croix legend ultras (6wt and 8wt) and fished two others (4wt and 5wt). Not as good as Sage IMO, but at half the price, can't beat the value. The ultra always felt somewhere in between the Z and SLT to me, but a heavier less smooth version.
It's too bad they stopped making it.

Walton Powell Hexagraph 7'6" 2 pc 4/5 weight is my go to small medium stream / trico rod ....close second small/medium stream/trico GLoomis pre shimano GL3 6'6" 3 weight 2 pc rod.

Big River/Windy Gloomis Glx 10' 6 wt 2 pc

Nymph rods.... Cortland Brook 10' 4pc 4 weight
Cortland Brook 10' 4 pc 5 weight

Trout Spey... Gloomis Streamdance Metolius 13'4" 5/6 3 pc

Salmon/Steelhead single hander: Gloomis GL4 9' 9weight 2 pc

Saltwater: Gloomis GLX pre shimano 9'10 weight

sorry i know they asked for one but these are my favorites overall an i own a bunch more rods i might just sell off soon since they need to be fished.

Bamboo: Paul Young " Perfectonist" 7'6" 4/5 wt 2pc 2 tip would be a dream trout bamboo for me
A Bob Clay Riverwatch Bamboo Trout Spey would be a dream trout spey bamboo also.
Just my 2 cents your milage may vary

Dreamcatcher Cumberland Queen 8' 4 weight hands down for me.

1. St Croix Legend Ultra

2. Cortland Brook

3. Diamondback Americana

I have had various and assorted St.. Croix ,as the price was right.
Penny wise,pound foolish.
Fenwick,years ago then Sage were worth the difference to me,anyway.
Best rod for me to suit my style and location was the Sage 9 foot,8 weight fast action in the different gen. graphites.
I am sure there would be other makers rods that would have been equal but I was satisfied with the Sage.

Dear Paul,

I've fished with Rolf's Payne 100 and it's pretty much awesome. I've only cast his Powell but I think it might be even more awesome for my tastes.

In bamboo that I own it is hard to argue against my South Bend 290. It just feels like a part of me when I cast it and play fish.

In graphite I'm partial to the Sage 389 SLT. For 99 percent of the trout fishing I, or most people for that matter do, it is perfect. You can fish midges or tricos, or you can cast weighted streamers with it.

I own a 389 LL which I really like too, but I never saw it as an all purpose rod. I discovered the all purpose abilities of the 389 SLT when my brother Terry handed it to me rigged with a size 6 Stimulator and two weighted nymphs as droppers.

I could cast that rig 50 to 60 feet easily and fish 6 feet of the water column. That was impressive. Later I fished a size 2 heavily weighted wooly bugger with it and that worked fine too.

I wish I could find one used for a reasonable price?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I would have to say my 7'9" 3wt rod that I bought at the Little Lehigh Fly Shop Many years ago. This is the rod that was custom made for the shop. It is still one of the nicest rods I have owned or fished.

its a versitex, bill.

there's a small cadre of people who own them, and all love them.

outside of that circle, its an unknown.

In the late 1980s I bought a 6' Cortland GRF. I took a hacksaw to the butt and shortened the rod about 6" and put a tiny, superfine type grip. Still using it - my all time favorite.

TFO 11ft 5 wt switch for bigger streams and rivers.
Cabales 5 pc 4wt7.5 ft for smaller streams. I haven't tried lots of rods those are the ones that suit my needs. The tfo will handle anything from good sized trout to steel head around the great lakes.

Like Rolf my favorite is my Mike Brooks version of the Payne 100. It does almost everything I want..

My most prized is a DreamCatcher. My best all round a Loomis GL3. Love my specialty rods too.

But, best, hands down, rod that I've casted. The type that does most things superbly and all things reasonably well. Sage XP or Loomis GLX. Both fantastic rods, just too expensive for my tastes. If forced to choose, I'd probably give a slight edge to the Loomis.

Give me a fast progressive taper anyday.

A buddy's Winston IM6 8.5' 5 wt. Wish I could have one of my own!

Winston IM6 8' 4wt
Sage 470 7' 4wt
Versitex 7'9" 3wt

Back