Hand Tied Leaders

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Hey guys,

I am getting into some smallmouth fishing (it's that time of year) and I enjoy tying my own leaders. It takes a while, but my knots are pretty good and sure. I am curious how much extra you allow for waste when tying the knots. If the formula calls for 18", how much do you cut off?

Thanks,

Steve

depends on what tool you use....I leave about3 inches extra but i don't ever measure anything when I am tying a leader....everything is just thrown together when I throw one together

I leave 6" (but I really think 3" would be plenty). I probably end up cutting an inch off of each end. I leave a little more tail at my last knot into the tippit for leaders that I'm going to use for dead drifting. This provides me a place to put split shot.

Dear Steve,

Get a Dennison bloodknot tool and you won't waste hardly any material. For example if a section needs to be 18", and it is between two other sections then 20" of material is all you really need if using the tool.

For smallmouth I typically use 30" of 20# Maxima Chameleon joined to 18" of 15# Maxima Chameleon followed by 12" of 12# Chameleon and then whatever length and weight tippet I decide to use at the time, generally it's 8# or 10# Chameleon.

If you want to go lighter in tippet extend all the sections mentioned above by 6 inches and add a 12" section of 8# Chameleon before you tie on the lighter tippet.

Leaders built like those I described will turn over a small dog on a 7 or 8 weight rod.

Additonally, the color of Maxima Chameleon has no effect on smallmouth, they are not leader shy when actively feeding.

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

Guess I'm cheap. I leave one inch.

Back