Hammer Creek Walk

J

JeffP

I took the dog out for a walk at the county park. Watch a guy working the big hole right above the bridge. He said he caught a few on griffiths gnat. It's always nice to see trout still around in the fall. Our friends own the old stone house next to the creek. I saw a number of risers last Saturday when we were there for a party.

It's always nice to see trout still around in the fall.

It's a spring creek so there are trout there year round, both stocked and wild.

You wouldn't look at it and conclude that its a spring creek because it doesn't have the typical grass beds and water cress except in some localized areas.

Fishing is meh at best anyway. As discussed before, this stream could really benefit from some habitat improvements.

Spoke to a guy from Donegal TU who said they are going to start work on the headwaters of the little stream that dumps in above there that has native brookies. He said it is an absolute mudhole when it rains. I believe it. We have discussed this one on here before. This could help a lot. I told him they also need to work on the landowner up the mountain on 322 who feeds mud and lawn chemicals from his gated compound into the one small branch of Walnut.

The planned habitat work of which I am aware will remove the footer of the dam that was previously breached and mostly removed. Remnants of a dam near the mouth of walnut will also be removed as part of the same project.

Back