Hair for spinning

B

burghwolfe

What is the best type of deer hair to use for spinning bass flies? Should it be fairly coarse or finer? I would think that finer hair would allow for it to be packed tighter but I really don't know. I spun some hair tonight with limited success but it may just be my technique. I was using deer body hair but it seemed kind of coarse. Maybe it just wasn't good quality. Any suggestions on suppliers of good hair for spinning?

Thanks

The key is that it has to be hollow. Look for hairs with short, fine tips, but are relatively coarse otherwise. If you can't take a strand and "snap" it near the tip, it's no good.

Coastal deer hair is the way to go in my opinion.

I asked a similar question a few weeks back, and was directed to an excellent video done by Kelly Gallop, where he talks about the ins and outs of selecting spinning hair. Google "Kelly Gallops Zoo Cougar."

IMO, his advice on selecting/buying spinning hair applies to both streamers and deer hair poppers. Hope this helps...

Belly hair is the best in my book for spinning bass flies. make sure its cleaned out of all fuzz and loose hairs, before spinning. Some hair just is better than others. finer hair is ok for small flies but you want a courser hair for large flies. I have spun with caribou, deer, any hair that is hoolow will work. just have to work at it till you find the right hair for what you are tying.

jayL wrote:
The key is that it has to be hollow. Look for hairs with short, fine tips, but are relatively coarse otherwise. If you can't take a strand and "snap" it near the tip, it's no good.

Coastal deer hair is the way to go in my opinion.

I can't recall ever seeing any "coastal" deer hair that struck me as desirable for spinning. "Coastal" hair is usually very short, hard, and and relatively fine in diameter. Also, from what I understand "coastal" deer hair is simply hair from hides taken during the warmer months when the deer do not need an insulating coat of long, thick, hollow hair.

When looking for good spinning deer hair, I simply look for a piece in which the hair stands up off the hide, feels thick and spongy, and the individual hairs look thick. There wil usually be a noticable amount of "wool" underfur also. If the hair seems flat, hard, or fine I look for a better piece. (I've found the long strips sold by Wapsi to be consistently good for spinning and are a good value in the long run.) Good deer hair will produce a full looking body/head with relatively few strands actually being used. If it seems like you are using up a lot of hair and can't get it to spin or fill in evenly, your hair is probably too fine and/or not hollow. A head or body tied with such hair won't float well either.

Also, some hair is too brittle as Jay alludes to. I don't know what causes this, but if the hair you're examining seems to break apart easily, don't purchase it. Your thread will cut it up when you tighten down on it.

Kev

You're right. I got my deer hairs mixed up. Coastal is the comparadun stuff.

See Chris Helms site ,he is the master of deer hair
http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/

beadhead2 wrote:
See Chris Helms site ,he is the master of deer hair
http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/

Chris is great to deal with and he sells quality deer hair. Give him a call and tell him what you are doing and he will sell you a good quality hair for what you are tying.
A lot depends on how the hair is preserved, the time of year it is harvested and if it is dyed or not.
Call Chris. ;-)

I feel pretty much the same as Sandfly , any hollow body hair from deer , elk , carabou , etc. different hair for different aps , the experimenting and foolin' around is half the fun , 2 BIG points i wanna make though , comb or brush the underfur completely out , you gotta spin on the bare part of the hook , not on the thread. Other than those two things , HAVE AT IT , HAVE FUN!!!!

Back