Hackles, capes, saddles etc

dryflyguy wrote:
I bought a pack of kapok when I took my tying class in 1984. We used it for cahill bodies I think that my instructor told me that it was the same materiel used in life vests?
Anyway, it's light tan in color. Has a nice fine texture, and is easy to work with.
It's not quite as chalk white as coffin fly bodies are, but it would probably work OK

Light tan color, maybe it was the dun and not the spinner for the natural match..That tanish color might be ideal for the dun body..

I know, nobody fishes drake duns?" I like fishing green drake duns because ever one says it's not worth it.."Not worth while", gotta be kidding..What's better then throwing green drake duns on 4x..Day time action..

Was going to ask you how kapok was to tye with? Closer to rabbit or poly?

I have seen more fish eating duns than spinners during GD hatches.

Do you throw GD, dun patterns, at them?

dryflyguy........gonna have to try that mucilin and lighter fluid thing , i like foolin around with stuff , never read that one , will i burst into flames at some point?

Sundrunk -

That kapok is like tying with fine fir.

And I've caught plenty of fish in penns on green drake duns

Osprey -

I've been using that lighter fluid mixture for over 10 - 15 years now, and haven't had an explosion yet. But I don't smoke either!
If you make it, you want to get the mucilin in the red container - it doesn't have silicone in it. Ol George specifically said to use that in the book.
I use an old Orvis superfloat bottle. Fill with lighter fluid, and put in 3-4 nice dabs of the mucilin. Stir and shake to mix it well. Should have a cloudy appearance if you have enough paste in it.

I dunk my flies in it right after I tie them on. After a few false casts, it's completely dry, and ready to go

So you're not reapplying in the field?

Ok, on the kapok..Plan on dying it as well..The natural is a really good match for the Drake dun..I went back into my notes and determined it was the dun, not the spinner, how ever bleached kapok may prove to be ideal for the spinner body as well...I guess if it's good enough for life jackets, it must float pretty well..

I prefer tying with natural materails where ever possible...

I'm not suprised dryfly! I've noticed a lot of guys sticking nymphs, all the while watching trout rise on the duns..Never could figure out why..."once you start down the path of the darkside forever will it control your destiny" Yoda..

Yeah, that kapok I have would be a pretty good match for the GD duns.

I carry that floatant in my vest, and dunk every fly that I tie on right on the stream. It will even help revive a soggy fly that's caught a few fish - although the desicant balls and frog fanny are better for that

So you have no problem with applying other floatants on top of your original mucilin treatment?

Right now I'm using liquid Loon...

Have you ever tride parafin wax, preserves and enhances color..

Powder performs well, just has an ill effect on fly color..Gives darker flys a chalk dust effect..

No - I basically use the liquid mixture to treat fresh, dry flies right out of the box. Then use the desicant powders for soaked ones.
Never tried anything else with the lighter fluid, although - after reading posts about it on this site - I'm thinking about trying albolene.

The best floatant I've ever used was Orvis superfloat. I could catch a dozen fish on a fly soaked with that without retreating.
But it had a carcinogen in it and was pulled off the market quite a few years ago now
Mucilin also makes a liquid fly floatant that you dunk the whole fly in. But I really think that my homemade stuff works just as well, if not better.

I never really liked using those thick, gooey floatants.
Besides having to fiddle around working it into the fly with your fingers, it mats the hackle. Just doesn't seem right to do that to a beautifully tied dry fly

Used powder for year. Tried Loon and it did a good job..The trick is not to apply to much..Just a little will do and last for quite a while too...good slice of amadou goes a long way

I know what you mean about fly matting..Although some of my best fishing flys show heavy ware..

The main reason i use the powder/dessicant type floatant is to bring them back from the dead , it , along with a little wicking/sponging , and false casting will revive a waterlogged fly allowing you more time to fish before changing flies. Prolongs the time and number of fish per fly.

Back