Hackles, capes, saddles etc

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm looking into upgrading my feathers in my arsenal. What style and color would you purchase in what order (because it gets expensive and I'll take it one piece at a time) and why would you pick those ones?

Thanks,

Ryan

Also... what color do you use for BWO's... I see light dun, medium dun, dark dun, sandy dun., etc.

I've been buying in much smaller quantity. More expensive in the long run but I haven't had any big chunks of change to do otherwise. I buy the Bugger packs and the metz (or other brand) 100's packs. When I first started the only neck I owned was a grizzly. I tied everything with it and caught just as many fish as I do now that I have a bigger selection and more "accurate" patterns.

BWOs vary greatly in color. I usually err on the light side as feathers and dubbing tend to darken as they get wet.

Yeah right now I have some "packs" and a grizzly hackle with some indian necks that I sub in when I need those colors. But I can tell my flies don't look all that great. I think my tying skills are pretty decent, but my materials are lacking.

I like the 100's packs.

I think the most important would be grizzley, medium dun, ginger, brown and cream.

I say medium dun because it could be used for all dun's.

You could probably get away with size 14's for 12's and 18 for 16 with the whiting 100's. I wouldn't do it, but it would work.

I fish a lot of subsurface patterns so for my money, I'd start with a good hen and partridge skin. A starling skin costs 5 bucks and you can get tons of medium dun soft hackles in size 16-20. Load em up with floatant and a wet fished in the surface film or under a dry works great.

For dries, I have a good grizzly and brown cape. Anything else and I just use the 100s.

I'd go full capes in Medium Dun, Dark Dun, Brown, cream.
half capes in darkbrown, black, ginger, light ginger, lightdun, olive..

Best palce to buy quantity the somerset NJ show in Jan

Collins, metz good deals, well worth the a two hour drive..

It's about a 6 hour drive for me to get there lol. But there is a show about 20 min from me in the early spring. I'll have to remember that.

6 hours is too far,

Have you ever considered mail order on-line?

I’ve had very good luck with Whiting Herbert Miner capes in the Pro Grade. Depending on the color you can find them anywhere from $22 - $35 per cape with most in the $25 - $30 range. These capes have a nice selection of feather sizes and are good quality. These capes are an excellent buy for the price.

My initial capes would be cream, natural dun, black, grizzly, and medium brown. Secondary capes would be medium dark grey dun, light ginger and dun grizzly. Specialty capes would be brown furnace, silver badger and pale watery dun.

For BWO I tie some in natural and medium dun. You just never know what the trout sees and sometimes it will make a difference.

ryguyfi,
I am interested to know where there will be a fly symosium near you in the spring. I live in Wellsboro pa. and dont want to drive to NJ either especially in mid winter. I have never been to one but everyone says they are great. thanks Fred

It's not really the same as the NJ show, but the TU that takes care of Pine Creek in the North Park area puts one on in Cranberry Twp, pa usually in March. They have a couple speakers and a handful of vendors. I bought a few materials and hooks there last year, but it's def not as big of a show as NJ. Worth a few bucks if you want to find some cheap materials, meet some guides, and here a few speakers, but I wouldn't spend any more than 2 hours there at the most.

Hi Ryan - Hook & Hackle has started carrying some really good capes in their premium series. They're top notch, and under $50 for a whole cape. Best deal I've ever seen on hackle...

H.A.

Google Charlie Collins
He has the best capes for the money ,plus with most of his capes you get the saddle with it !!!

Flytyingfred-

As Ry said there is a show in Cranberry (Four Points Sheraton)-late winter usually. Sure guys will bring it up several times before the show. Nothing like Somerset NJ show but it's not bad.

Might keep tabs on it by looking here. http://www.pwwtu.org/

There are probably a hundred booths and several guest speakers-I am sure there are a half dozen guys or more from here that go.

Fred if you are in Wellsboro..I think New Jersey is closer...only by less than an hour though.

Ryan there ar a ton og mail order places. Or you could just hit the list fo fly shops on the main pager here and see who's close.

The eastern sports and outdoor show in Harrisburg has a few fly materials stands. It is usually in Feb.

Ryan I will split some with you. . .

Let me know.

The two hackle colors I use the most, by far, are dun and ginger.
I probably tie 90% of my flies with them
I would go with medium dun - can't really see the need to get different shades of that.
I also have grizzly, brown, and cream hackle necks, which last me a lot longer.
If you're serious about tying, I would get the necks instead of the hackle packs. I use #3's - which go for around $35 now - and they're fine

For dry fly hackle, do you guys prefer capes or saddles? I'm looking to upgrade hackle as well, to tie more dries in the coming year.

P.S. - Ryan, I hope I'm not hijacking you post :).

I like capes..Saddles are nice too, but most will only tye you down to #12, #14..Capes give you a wide asortment of feather sizes, and quill bodies too..

Back