Hackle pliers frustration

I wasn't kiddin'.......smoke 'em if ya got 'em PEACE OUT.

osprey wrote:
I wasn't kiddin'.......smoke 'em if ya got 'em PEACE OUT.

Actually, it gave me an idea....rubber cement or plastic dip (the stuff used for tool handles). Probably has similar properties, although not as much fun ;-)

peace-tony c.

i have found that parachutes are easier with rotating hackle pliers i had that same problem with mine to solve it this is what i did i took a thick but narrow rubber band put a dab of zap a gap on the hackle pliers and glued rubber band to each jaw being careful not to get the glue on the part of the band that will be touching the feather works great

tocar I have three pair of cheap hackle pliers that i dipped the tips in plastic dip and they hold much better than they did before I dipped them.

You might also try a little bit of candle wax , just a little.

Geez I thought everybody used vice grips like I do.:-o

Festus...........my first vice , around 1964 , was vicegrips in a bench vice. Honestly , we improvised , and my first fly had a chunk of "Tiger Bread" label in it , which i caught a bluegill on.

osprey wrote:
Festus...........my first vice , around 1964 , was vicegrips in a bench vice. Honestly , we improvised , and my first fly had a chunk of "Tiger Bread" label in it , which i caught a bluegill on.

When I was 10 or so, I had a book about fishing. It included a chapter on fly fishing, which I always wanted to try and some details on how to tie flies. It suggested ways to make a vise (pliers and rubber bands), a bobbin (I don't remember, but it somehow involved rubber bands) and sewing thread. I remember clipping off white fur from some cheap winter coat of my mother's, using christmas tinsel and other assorted bits of shiny junk to try and tie flies with sewing thread.

I had to hang them from the end of a spinning rod, but I'm pretty sure I took bluegills, not that it took much.

I'd do anything to have a couple of those awful things again, now.

Back