Hackle pliers frustration

tocar

tocar

So, I should be at my tying bench cranking out a dozen each #18 BWO and #18 Blue Quills (I neglected getting this done in winter :oops: ). Instead, I sit here frustrated with the lack of a decent pair of hackle pliers that won't slip, or worse, break the feather. Please don't misunderstand...I own 7 pairs of hackle pliers, but none of them seem to work well below a size 16 feather. There's the teardrop, the English {both large and small}, the crossover loop {also in two sizes}, the fancy rotary, and that type with the little metal hook that pops out the top when you push the button on the bottom. All of these have at one time or another been modified to make them work better at holding hackles. I have been unsuccessful at all attempts :-(

What works for you and have you made modifications to make it work better? I know some will suggest using one's fingers, but when it gets down to the small flies, I'm all thumbs. We fly fishers are a rather ingenious breed, so I'm sure one of you have a solution to my dilemma.

Btw, I've tried most of the common solutions...shrink tubing on the tips, bending tips to pair up better, buffed tips that were breaking hackles...and they still don't work on small feathers.

Thanks.

peace-tony c.

I have 2 pair of Herter's hackle pliers that I bought when I was 12.
They still continue to serve me well these past 40 years.

I've never found a really good pair of hackle pliers either. They all seem to slip - especially when hackling a #28 fly.
Roughing up the jaws a little with fine emery from time to time seems to help a little.
I've always used teardrop style with fine jaws

My solution is buy whiting 100's.

I don't have to worry about hackle pliers.

I have 2 pair, the $1 set and a $30 set. I hate to say, but the $1 pair is what I perfer.

Hackle twist is usually the reason I break dry hackle while usuing pliers.

I also have a pair of the old Herter's hackle pliers that are still operative and pretty good. A lot of the Herter's stuff from the time before the old man became a felon was pretty high quality.

Otherwise, I've done OK with other brands with rubberized jaws. But, it's just a fact of life that they're going to slip or break a feather now and then. Kinda like death and taxes.

The steel jawed varieties with no rubber can be made to perform somewhat better by putting a little tacky dubbing wax on the jaws. Not a glop. Just enough to enhance grip a bit. It lasts for several flies.

There's probably a partial solution as well in finding a happy medium in the pressure applied when winding a hackle. Enough to make the wraps nice and tight but not enough to break the feather. But this isn't, other than what has come instinctively, my area of expertise. I'm a pretty ragged fly tier.

tocar wrote:

We fly fishers are a rather ingenious breed

I obviously got banned from that gene pool.

The small version of the English style hackle pliers work the best for me on hackles that break easier than others. I haven't needed to do this, but I believe you can bend those to either increase or decrease the pressure applied on the hackle stem until you find the Goldilocks setting. You may have some burrs on the edges that could be sanded. Also, if they are if they are serrated, then perhaps some very subtle smoothing of the edges might help.

Other than grabbing the feather further down the stem from the tip (tough to do on tiny hackles) make sure to grab inline with the stem vs. across it.

There may be a way to soften hackles themselves so they are not so brittle but I have never had to do that and don't know what the best way is.

Good luck.

I really hate using hackle pliers also. I get frustrated doing it by hand when the feather unwinds, but more frustrated by a tool that doesn't work as I want it too. I've looked into getting a new pair, but haven't done it yet. Good subject so far!

by MKern on 2010/4/7 9:10:34

My solution is buy whiting 100's.

I don't have to worry about hackle pliers.

This is exactly what I do, with the 100's I don't need pliers and I also like that the hackle is sized. Takes the guess work out of finding the right size feather.

I use a little pair of English style ones over several larger English, and a Griffin rotating... Seems to break less, and its just as easy to control.

I've been told a little heat-shrink tubing over one or both jaws helps the slipping, but I've never tried.

Wrapping hackle is one application where a true rotary vise comes in handy. Because you're holding the feather steady, and not twisting it, or putting too much pressure on it, almost any hackle pliers will work.

Leverage is the big culprit when it comes to hackle feathers breaking or slipping out of the pliers. The less leverage you apply, the better off you'll be (to a point).

For those of you that have ever seen Rod at the Little Lehigh Fly Shop wrap hackle, you've seen him use a REALLY long pair of rotating hackle pliers. I asked why the pliers were so long, and he told me they apply less leverage due to the long handle. He holds the pliers down near the bottom to take full advantage of the physics involved. I asked about purchasing a set of those pliers, but the guy that made them had them patented, or something, and no one makes them. I looked them over, and made one for myself. You'd think such a long handle would make them tough to use, but they work great for tiny hackle feathers. Makes wrapping the feather easy, while passing around your bobbin with no problem. You can keep a steady, even pressure on the wrap at all times, and that minimizes breakage and slipping out of the jaws. These things work!

Attachments

• hp2.jpg
    hp2.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 3
Use them for roachclips for a few years before you try to wind hackle with them , it makes them grip much better , must be the resin.

H-A,
I do use a rotary vise, but I should have mentioned in my op that I tie mostly parachutes. As for the long handle, I really like my long handled rotary pliers, but they have the most problems with slippage. I may have to try Osprey's solution ;-)

Oddly enough, I seem to be running low on the smaller size hackles on most of my necks. Maybe time to buy some Whitings 100's. Anyone know what to do with a neck full of size 8 and larger dry fly hackles? ;-)

peace-tony c.

Hi Tony - I tie off all my parachutes on the post, not on the hook shank. I find it much easier to do - here's a tutorial that shows this technique. You don't need special thread, but I prefer 12/0 Bennechi, or 14/0 Griffiths for the hackle tie off. Rotary hackle pliers work very well for this technique.

H.A.

if you're tying 'chutes... have you ever thought of rotating the hook on the vise to make the post horizontal and rotating from there? Never tried it, but just a thought.

ryguyfi wrote:
if you're tying 'chutes... have you ever thought of rotating the hook on the vise to make the post horizontal and rotating from there? Never tried it, but just a thought.

Click HA's link. :)

I do it that way too. Then I decide to can the parachutes after one or two and tie with CDC.

I guess I'm a genius and don't realize it half the time lol.

tocar wrote:
Anyone know what to do with a neck full of size 8 and larger dry fly hackles? ;-)

peace-tony c.

Yeah, Tony, tie up some bass bugs.

Jack,

With all that large hackle, I should be able to fill up a suitcase or two of bass bugs :lol: Come to think of it, I don't have any dry fly hooks larger than #10. Maybe I'll tie some spiders and skaters.

peace-tony c.

Hoppers, humpinators, and bass bugs would be my choice.

i'd probably use some of that hackle as streamer wings.

Back