Guterman silk

I

Irv

Does anyone out there have experience using Guterman silk thread? I got a bunch at a garage sale - several colors. It's a bit on the - heavy side - about 3/0 andIwas thinking of using it as either ribbing or as bodies in soft hackles. Any thoughts? Irv

I have never used Guterman myself, but I have seen it referenced as a body material in wet fly patterns. You should try it out and see how it works (and post your results). If you haven't tied with silk, it takes some getting used to. It will snag easily and will discolor from any oil on your hands. It will also change color and become somewhat translucent when wet. The translucency can make for some really nice effects, but keep it in mind if your trying something like a white ribbing over a black body.
Mike.

i use it often,as it is the only silk thread i can walk into a store and buy.

i use it most often as a thread for soft hackles.

it is ok,not my favorite ,but it works.

I have a few spools of gutterman, but have not got around to using it. I have quite a few spools of Pearsall's gossamer silk that I use instead - great stuff that! I tie soft hackles and use the PGS thread for bodies.

I believe FrequentTyer is referring to silk FLOSS, which is troublesome stuff, but very different from silk thread.

Silk thread does indeed darken when wet, but is easy to tie with and does not generally snag on your fingers as floss does.

Your right Tups, floss is an even bigger pain. I use Pearsall's myself and do find it's more prone to snagging than something like Uni thread, but we are probably just using it differently. I tend to counter-spin it to get the thread to lay flat so that might be an issue. Pearsall's does make some nice wet fly bodies though and it's a good choice for bamboo rod wrapping.
Mike.

run an emery board over your fingers before using floss, rayon or silk.

tying silk's colour can be manipulated with cobbler's wax, which is still available if you look. that's alot of work.

Back