Gunpowder

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

I checked the guage this morning and saw they dropped the flow to 19 cfs. I know the minimal guaranteed flows is somewhere in the mid teens but I've never seen them drop below 30. Anyone have any insight as to why they did this?

I posted this yesterday in another Gunpowder forum. As explained below, the flow is supposed to be reduced to 15cfs for the time being.

Regarding the Gunpowder, the target flow is scheduled to be dialed back to 15cfs starting today. The current flow has been 28cfs, preceded by several weeks of flows in excess of 100-175cfs.

The stated reason for the reduction in flows is that the region is experiencing a significant drought, with certain areas of the state experiencing historically low stream flow levels, with three of those streams being the largest tributaries of Prettyboy Reservoir (Upper Gunpowder Falls, Grave’s Run, and George’s Run). The reservoir is currently 13.33’ below the full pool level, and even at the current discharge rate of 28cfs, the reservoir is emptying faster than it is filling up. The idea apparently is to preserve as much (cold) water as possible for next summer. Until the region receives significant precipitation to alleviate the ongoing drought conditions, it seems likely flows will continue to be at this reduced level for the foreseeable future (until the City/County decide that Loch Raven Reservoir needs to be topped up, at which point who knows).

Obviously there are greater concerns than trout fishing, and a significant drought only compounds that. But what I do not understand is why we continue to see higher than average flows for weeks on end, followed by significant reductions, and now to only slightly above minimum flows (11.5cfs is the minimum discharge outlined in the agreement between Maryland TU and Baltimore City/County). Would it not make sense to maintain a more steady flow of, say, 50-75cfs rather than ramping up flows for weeks only to be followed by minimal flows? As I said, a drought creates challenges, so obviously exceptions need to be made. But going forward it seems to me there should be a focused discussion on how to maintain more stable flows on the stream.

I posted this yesterday in another Gunpowder forum. As explained below, the flow is supposed to be reduced to 15cfs for the time being.

Regarding the Gunpowder, the target flow is scheduled to be dialed back to 15cfs starting today. The current flow has been 28cfs, preceded by several weeks of flows in excess of 100-175cfs.

The stated reason for the reduction in flows is that the region is experiencing a significant drought, with certain areas of the state experiencing historically low stream flow levels, with three of those streams being the largest tributaries of Prettyboy Reservoir (Upper Gunpowder Falls, Grave’s Run, and George’s Run). The reservoir is currently 13.33’ below the full pool level, and even at the current discharge rate of 28cfs, the reservoir is emptying faster than it is filling up. The idea apparently is to preserve as much (cold) water as possible for next summer. Until the region receives significant precipitation to alleviate the ongoing drought conditions, it seems likely flows will continue to be at this reduced level for the foreseeable future (until the City/County decide that Loch Raven Reservoir needs to be topped up, at which point who knows).

Obviously there are greater concerns than trout fishing, and a significant drought only compounds that. But what I do not understand is why we continue to see higher than average flows for weeks on end, followed by significant reductions, and now to only slightly above minimum flows (11.5cfs is the minimum discharge outlined in the agreement between Maryland TU and Baltimore City/County). Would it not make sense to maintain a more steady flow of, say, 50-75cfs rather than ramping up flows for weeks only to be followed by minimal flows? As I said, a drought creates challenges, so obviously exceptions need to be made. But going forward it seems to me there should be a focused discussion on how to maintain more stable flows on the stream.
Thanks for the information. I assumed that the big bumps in flow during September were because Loch Raven needed water. I remember a very similar situation in 2010 where they had to push alot of water in early fall and Prettyboy was very,very low. However, they never dropped it below 30. We got heavy early spring rain and the water was coming over the top by April. Fingers crossed that we get some rain.

Thanks for the information. I assumed that the big bumps in flow during September were because Loch Raven needed water. I remember a very similar situation in 2010 where they had to push alot of water in early fall and Prettyboy was very,very low. However, they never dropped it below 30. We got heavy early spring rain and the water was coming over the top by April. Fingers crossed that we get some rain.

Really we could use a winter with a good amount of snow...nothing recharges ground water as good as slowly melting snow

Really we could use a winter with a good amount of snow...nothing recharges ground water as good as slowly melting snow
Well it's looking good for snow this winter.

Well it's looking good for snow this winter.

Earlier in the fall it wasnt but i Was reading something yesterday about the European agencies weather model for this upcoming winter and they are calling for a lot of snow in Jan and Feb. As a Dad with a young daughter who very much enjoys sledding, this was welcome news

Quit using your daughter as an excuse for your love of sledding

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 16
Were there any significant accumulations of snow over the the past several days?

Were there any significant accumulations of snow over the the past several days?
Not here in my part of Maryland. I’ve lived here since 2017 and I think in that time we have had only a few snowfalls and none that I would consider significant.

Hopefully this storm does a good job in starting to replenish Prettyboy.

I know how to track the reservoir levels of almost all the tailwaters I fish, anyone have a source for the Gunpowder?

Check the Backwater Anglers website and USGS. Gunpowder near Parkton MD.

Check the Backwater Anglers website and USGS. Gunpowder near Parkton MD.
Sorry, I should have been a little more clear, I have the gauges. I'm looking for the reservoir plots like this. It gives me a little better idea of future flows on tailwaters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_221313_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_221313_Chrome.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 12
Based on today’s rainfall in the area, one would think the reservoir levels had to have increased.

Based on today’s rainfall in the area, one would think the reservoir levels had to have increased.
If they didn't go up we've got a problem. I'm wondering how much it went up and how close we are to decent flows.

No. The info we want is what's in the reservoir, not what's coming out of it.
You essentially have to drive in and take a look. Very nice drive, though.

Back