Guide Stories

He whined about it being hot, whined about it raining, whined that the stream he was fishing - Spring Creek - had a train derailment that dumped caustic chemicals into it -
Does anyone know what train derailment this refers to? When? Where? etc.

I’m assuming it’s how Spring Creek got polluted with PCB’s. When I used to fish it I used the same fly box as I used on my home waters of Valley Creek(also polluted with PCB’s). Had the same bugs pretty much. Or both might be polluted with PFA’s. Don’t quote me but I believe both were contaminated with the same chemical. Only certain bugs survived it.

I’m assuming it’s how Spring Creek got polluted with PCB’s. When I used to fish it I used the same fly box as I used on my home waters of Valley Creek(also polluted with PCB’s). Had the same bugs pretty much. Or both might be polluted with PFA’s. Don’t quote me but I believe both were contaminated with the same chemical. Only certain bugs survived it.
I don't know of any train derailment that caused pollution on Spring Creek.

And the main pollutants in Spring Creek were kepone and mirex, not PCBs. These pollutants came from a chemical plant near the Nittany Mall, and the pollutants flowed through the groundwater and entered Spring Creek at a spring, a short distance above the Benner Pike bridge in the Houserville/Lemont area.

I don’t know about that either. Sounds like another near-by stream during, I believe, the 1980’s.

Back