Guide Stories

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

Awhile back there was a Fly Fish Food podcast that was simply a couple of guides sitting around telling stories about funny / ridiculous experiences they've had with their sports. It was maybe slightly dickish, but it was good for a laugh. Can anyone recommend any other podcasts, books, articles, etc. in this vein?

Alternately, if any guides want to share funny stories here, that would be entertaining (but that seems like a more demanding request).

"Tailer Trash Fly Fishing" also "Mill House" is good. They're not the normal monotone, boring, NPR-type fly fishing podcasts.

Dear hooker-of-men,

It's not a podcast, and it's not a fly-fishing story either. But it's the story of the last fishing guide in Algonquin National Park. It's 45 minutes long, but it's worth every minute, at least to me!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

John Gierach‘s book “Sex, Death and Flyfishing” has a chapter … ‘Guiding and being Guided‘. It’s a good story on being on both sides of the fishing guide experience.

Gierach’s early books were pretty good … but I lost a lot of interest and frankly respect for his work when he trashed Central Pa streams in one story … when he got his @#ss kicked on Spring Creek fishing as a guest of Charles Meck. He didn’t have to do that … it was a real cheap shot by him and way below his talent level.

I have fished his hallowed Frying Pan river many times. It’s a beautiful river with incredible bugs and trout and I always had a hell of a good time fishing there - it’s stunning …. But frankly - if you can routinely catch trout on the challenging creeks of Central Pa. …. You can catch bunches of them on the Frying Pan. Don’t speak ill of another Man’s fishing water.

John Gierach‘s book “Sex, Death and Flyfishing” has a chapter … ‘Guiding and being Guided‘. It’s a good story on being on both sides of the fishing guide experience.

Gierach’s early books were pretty good … but I lost a lot of interest and frankly respect for his work when he trashed Central Pa streams in one story … when he got his @#ss kicked on Spring Creek fishing as a guest of Charles Meck. He didn’t have to do that … it was a real cheap shot by him and way below his talent level.

I have fished his hallowed Frying Pan river many times. It’s a beautiful river with incredible bugs and trout and I always had a hell of a good time fishing there - it’s stunning …. But frankly - if you can routinely catch trout on the challenging creeks of Central Pa. …. You can catch bunches of them on the Frying Pan. Don’t speak ill of another Man’s fishing water.
In which book did he trash Central PA streams?

I ran into a Montana guy on Penns a few year ago and he was trashing the river. "You have to be a nymphing ninja out east to actually catch fish." In the back of my mind I was thinking, maybe you just suck?

"Tailer Trash Fly Fishing" also "Mill House" is good. They're not the normal monotone, boring, NPR-type fly fishing podcasts.
What’s wrong with NPR. When my kids were younger they referred to NPR as the boring man station 😜

That’s really funny … and so true!

I think I was a little harsh yesterday saying Gierach “ trashed” the Pa streams he fished …. I was into the Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond and feeling a little frisky … But I remember I was really annoyed… & fed up with … his increasing arrogant Western / Rocky Mountain Front Range attitude in that story When I first read it. He whined about it being hot, whined about it raining, whined that the stream he was fishing - Spring Creek - had a train derailment that dumped caustic chemicals into it - he even whined about the food in a Central Pa diner he ate at. I remember he did have a good time on Spruce Creek … I’m sure back then Donnie Beaver’s private club ( $60,000 initiation fee “ totally refundable !!! ) put him on some really nice Hogs! I felt he took the lazy way out .. and missed an opportunity to capture the real essence of the place.

I really enjoyed all his early books. But after a while I started to see this “ Rocky Mountain / Mountain Man “ attitude, he and his buddy AK … the “ cranky, grizzled old eccentrics, only fished cane, grunted one word answers to fellow anglers that asked “ how’s it ‘goin?” Etc etc … not the type of folks I like to fish with.

But his story The Fish Car …. Was one of my favorite.

In my short time guiding, I've seen some wild / crazy / hilarious / frightening things. I will say, most experiences have been great. Same story as in any service based business.... some folks can't be made happy but you do the best you can.

I live vicariously through the client and every fish they catch I see as a team effort. I got them in position, they made the cast. We both have a role in the success 👍.

I would think that most people hire a guide to learn something, try new water or try new techniques. I see it as some do it just to take a boat ride 🤣. You should have a discussion with your guide prior to the trip about what you would like to do and what you would like to accomplish. If it's nothing more than getting out of the office and spending a day on the water, we can make that happen. If you want to learn how to properly nymph, throw streamers or possibly become more proficient at dry fly fishing. Your guide should be able to set you up to do those things. You also have to keep an open mind and take direction from the guide. You hired them, use them. If you base a successful trip on the number of fish you put in the net, that's not always a good measuring stick. I've had a guy who has never fished in his life manage to put 19 trout in the net nymphing. I've had other guys that could really cast leave the river angry with one or two fish.

Two quick stories....
While floating for trout, we were running a double nymph for rig under an indicator. I told the client to fish the seam of the fast water and slow water and mend so that he got a drag free drift. While telling him this, both flies came back and went into my mouth 😳. I thought the one beat had broke my incisor when it hit. Oblivious, the gentleman started his forward cast. I grab the end of the fly line and screen stop. He turned around to watch me spit out both of his nymphs. He asked me what happened. I told him tippet wasn't heavy enough to land what he had hooked. 😁.

Another client seem to want to fish the exact opposite side that I asked them to cast to no matter what. I told him the deep slot is on the right and that's where he'll find the fish. "I like the looks of the water on the left" and that is where he would cast. Three quarters of the way through the trip, he asked me if there were any fish in this river. I explained to him that he's not putting the flies where I asked him to put them and he's not getting a drag free drift. "By all means 'pro', why don't you show me what you mean?". I casted on the right where I had asked him to throw it, made one mend and the bobber went down within 3 ft. I set the hook and handed him the rod. "It's just that easy, huh?". I told him it was if he followed directions... which he did for the remainder of the day 😁

In my short time guiding, I've seen some wild / crazy / hilarious / frightening things. I will say, most experiences have been great. Same story as in any service based business.... some folks can't be made happy but you do the best you can.

I live vicariously through the client and every fish they catch I see as a team effort. I got them in position, they made the cast. We both have a role in the success 👍.

I would think that most people hire a guide to learn something, try new water or try new techniques. I see it as some do it just to take a boat ride 🤣. You should have a discussion with your guide prior to the trip about what you would like to do and what you would like to accomplish. If it's nothing more than getting out of the office and spending a day on the water, we can make that happen. If you want to learn how to properly nymph, throw streamers or possibly become more proficient at dry fly fishing. Your guide should be able to set you up to do those things. You also have to keep an open mind and take direction from the guide. You hired them, use them. If you base a successful trip on the number of fish you put in the net, that's not always a good measuring stick. I've had a guy who has never fished in his life manage to put 19 trout in the net nymphing. I've had other guys that could really cast leave the river angry with one or two fish.

Two quick stories....
While floating for trout, we were running a double nymph for rig under an indicator. I told the client to fish the seam of the fast water and slow water and mend so that he got a drag free drift. While telling him this, both flies came back and went into my mouth 😳. I thought the one beat had broke my incisor when it hit. Oblivious, the gentleman started his forward cast. I grab the end of the fly line and screen stop. He turned around to watch me spit out both of his nymphs. He asked me what happened. I told him tippet wasn't heavy enough to land what he had hooked. 😁.

Another client seem to want to fish the exact opposite side that I asked them to cast to no matter what. I told him the deep slot is on the right and that's where he'll find the fish. "I like the looks of the water on the left" and that is where he would cast. Three quarters of the way through the trip, he asked me if there were any fish in this river. I explained to him that he's not putting the flies where I asked him to put them and he's not getting a drag free drift. "By all means 'pro', why don't you show me what you mean?". I casted on the right where I had asked him to throw it, made one mend and the bobber went down within 3 ft. I set the hook and handed him the rod. "It's just that easy, huh?". I told him it was if he followed directions... which he did for the remainder of the day 😁
I like your second story as it fit well with many of my experiences when anglers would write, call, ask during/after a presentation, or approach me in the field for “where to and how to info.” So often following through on my advice, especially regarding timing and locations, was going to apparently be too much effort. I would put out great info and intel, but generally the old saying that repeatedly played in my head as I listened to their responses was “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.”

I was wade fishing and a guide I know of rowed by and there was no one in boat with him from what I could see. Then a guy suddenly rises up from the floor of his boat and shakily takes a swig from a bottle of whiskey and then falls back down in the boat. Guide just stared straight ahead and kept rowing.

I was fishing one evening and catching a few on sulfurs here and there. Not a person anywhere around . As it got darker Coffin Flies started hitting the water and the big fish showed up. I frantically dug through my boxes and had nothing to match them. A raft emerges out of the mist and I told the guide rowing it what was happening. He laughed and handed me a fly and carefully went around me. He also advised I cut my leader back, which I did. I put his fly on and a few casts later netted my largest (to date) Brown . A heavy 24" fish.

Two quick stories....

This is the gold I was looking for!!!

I had a guy out smallmouth fishing. "I've been FF-ing for years". Strips out 10' of line but doesn't get the connection out of the top guide. Begins violently casting left, right, left. Each time, the rod tip would hit the water. I wanted to speak but was in stunned silence. The violence increased as he shifted his weight side to side. Just a few casts in, his ankle folds like rusted lawn chair......."Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier!!". The rod went flying as hi ribs slammed the gunwale. I wasn't sure if he was going to get back up. Suggested that we might try spinning rod until the wind laid down a little bit. He went with it thank God.

I really enjoyed all his early books. But after a while I started to see this “ Rocky Mountain / Mountain Man “ attitude, he and his buddy AK … the “ cranky, grizzled old eccentrics, only fished cane, grunted one word answers to fellow anglers that asked “ how’s it ‘goin?” Etc etc … not the type of folks I like to fish with.
Agree - the first couple books were different then seemed to be "same old, same old".
Unless he's different in person I could pass on a day of fishing with him and his buddies.

However, if you haven't' already, read some stories by Robert Traver/John Voelker - he's a guy I wouldn't mind fishing with.

What’s wrong with NPR. When my kids were younger they referred to NPR as the boring man station 😜
That's my station! My wife says how can you listen to that? I told that's why you are asking me what's going on in the Middle East? I'll give her credit. She's trying now.

Agree - the first couple books were different then seemed to be "same old, same old".
Unless he's different in person I could pass on a day of fishing with him and his buddies.

However, if you haven't' already, read some stories by Robert Traver/John Voelker - he's a guy I wouldn't mind fishing with.
I liked Trout Bum and whatever essays I've read a good deal. Then I had an audio book at one point that started with a veeerrryy long retelling of his young adulthood in the third person in the manner that it was sorta an everyman experience. It didn't contain anything that offended me in terms of behavior being promoted, but the writing sure sucked.

I remember when I read the passages about the spring creek and attributed that to our fish not being so easy

As to fishing out west vs. the east, the difference is that fish out west are bigger and dumber. Even a duffer like me has no trouble catching fish out west. Gierach's problem is that he is spoiled by easy fishing.

Back