guesing width of small streams from maps

I enjoy getting off the beaten path --or any path at all -- but its no guarantee where acid rain or AMD are concerned

Stone_Fly wrote:
I though it was interesting that none of those streams had tributaries. Usually streams that flow a couple of miles will have a couple of small tribs.
I meant to say they had no tributaries, anyway it's interesting that they don't particularly the longer ones.

"I meant to say they had no tributaries, anyway it's interesting that they don't particularly the longer ones."

maybe that fits with the idea that they run thru geologic cracks? another sign they will be tiny!

This is a topic I've been meaning to learn about, but could never really think of the right questions to ask. I learned a lot just reading through this thread, and I'm sure many other have as well. Maybe at a newbie jam or something somebody can do a map reading lesson.

one thought on reading maps when choosing places to fish: fish like pools, and streams will tend to dig holes and form pools where they bend. so on a detailed map, I would tend like a twisty looking stream section verses a straighter stream section... also more pools in steeper streams

Here is a lin to the definitons of Stream rders.

Streamorder

Thisbegs the quetion, Isthe Mississippi River a first order stream somewhere in the far north of MN?

Back