GSMNP YELLOW SALLY

A

AKSkim

GSMNPYellowSally.jpg

GSMNP? Am I really supposed to understand that?

Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

Great smoky mountain national park.

Edit. Brookie chaser beat me to it

I might as well chime in as well ... LOL

Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

April / May I make my annual pilgrimage to TN.

This pattern in late April / May in the evening is a CATCHER.

... then again, that time of year anything yellow will catch a wild trout.

AKSkim wrote:

This pattern in late April / May in the evening is a CATCHER.

I have not seen this design before, is it original or can you point to a history?

With out a tail, does the wonder wing support the back half of the fly on the water?

What's the yellow part of the body made from?

The body is Yellow Turkey Biot

All I can say is. That is a very nice tie.

GC

shortrod2 wrote:
With out a tail, does the wonder wing support the back half of the fly on the water?

The Sallys are most vunerable when they are dropping eggs and sticking their back side in the water.
This design mimics that well.
Nice tie.

gutcutter wrote:
shortrod2 wrote:

The Sallys are most vunerable when they are dropping eggs and sticking their back side in the water.
This design mimics that well.
Nice tie.

Is that a "Yes"?

shortrod2 wrote:
Is that a "Yes"?

Kind of...
The hackle keeps the fly on top. The wonder wing doesn't touch the water.

gutcutter wrote:

Kind of...
The hackle keeps the fly on top. The wonder wing doesn't touch the water.

Are you pulling my leg?

When I see this and your other two similar flies you posted I cant help but think how much like Japanese art they look. I'm not sure why it strikes me like that but that was my first thought. Really looks nice.

Iv2nymph, very good eye it is an ORIGAMI (Japanese for paper folding) Wing invented by Jens Pilgaard of Denmark who showed me how to tie it

He was at the Fly Tyer Variant booth at the Somerset show about 10 years ago.

When he was showing how to tie it he used a Coq de Leon rooster cape and for years it was the only feather I would use. I have now ventured out to use other webby feathers to make them smaller and use different colors.

Up until recently I only tied Terry Cripple with the wing that extended out 90 degrees out to the side from the hook.

When I get time I will put one for you to see. The evening hatch for sulphurs is a killer pattern.

That is exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to compare origami to fly tying, thought it might be a bit of a stretch. But you can see how they're "tied" together. :roll: I look forward to seeing the other.

Back