Griffin Montana Mongoose or Renzetti Traveller vise

Tyer

Here's a really good little article written by Ronn Lucas Sr that discusses the merits of rotary vs true rotary vises.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc288.php

Whether one chooses to tie using the true rotary (aka in-line rotary) feature is personal preference. If you purchase an in-line rotary vise, you can still tie using non-true rotary techniques. This gives you the option to learn and utilize these techniques in the future.

If you read the article I linked to above, you'll understand that the Peak/Montana Mongoose/Traveler are true rotary (inline rotary) vises. Regals are not. They're considered rotary vises. The hook shank does not remain on the same axis when you rotate the vise. The Revolution is no different than the Medallion in this respect - it just spins a whole lot easier. Yes, you can tie using in-line rotary techniques with these vises, but it is easier to do them for some tyers when you don't have to "chase" the hook in its up and down rotation. Depending on how you position the hook in the jaws, and adjusting the vise head angle, you can often minimize this problem. Of course, this can add other problems (like access to the rear of the hook) in to the equation.

Many thousands of tyers/tiers get along just fine without using an in-line rotary vise. It's just another feature you may or may not like to use. YMMV.

SBecker wrote:
Tyer

If your going to correct someone at least be correct yourself. The word Tyer. Is an anagram. The word tier is the proper word to use. Not that i dont on occasion use the anagram tyer, as i see a lot of people make this mistake. Just like many think a lot is one word. I see this all the time, alot. That's not a word.

The funniest part is you picked that. You missed i used "future" instead of saying "Feature" as I should have.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
SBecker wrote:
Tyer

If your going to correct someone at least be correct yourself. The word Tyer. Is an anagram. The word tier is the proper word to use. Not that i dont on occasion use the anagram tyer, as i see a lot of people make this mistake. Just like many think a lot is one word. I see this all the time, alot. That's not a word.

The funniest part is you picked that. You missed i used "future" instead of saying "Feature" as I should have.

An anagram??? Maybe you mean archaic? Both are correct with tier being more common, not that this has anything to do with vise choice. The English lessons are getting a bit tyering (contrived pun fully intended).

Thanks for the link HA , lots of good info.

Just got the Renzetti Traveller , very impressed. Thanks for all your help, it was exactly what I was looking for , I tried the peak also and the Renzetti just felt nicer.

Congratulations on your investment, Atlantisboy. You have a great vise that will last you a lifetime.

Don't know what the instructions are that Renzetti supplies with their vises nowadays, but mine were a bit vague regarding hook placement in the jaws.

This method has worked very well for me for over a decade, and my jaws look as good as the day I got my vise:

Before placing a hook in the vise, position the cam lever 90 degrees to the jaws (fully toward the tip of the jaws). Using the screw at the front of the jaws, open the jaws so the hook slides in just to where you want it held. Rotate the cam lever to the rear of the jaws - it won't go past being inline with the jaws, if that far. Very little pressure required for the lever to hold the hook solidly. Make sure there is at least a hook wire diameter of space between the hook, and the edge of the jaws.

This method of hook placement keeps the jaws in the most parallel position of the two jaw halfs. This gives the best hold, and keeps pressure on the jaws to a minimum.

Hope this helps.

H.A.

H.A. Thank you. The instructions say pretty much the same thing but not as in detail or as eloquently as you described it :)

Thanks again for all the advice.

Back