Griffin Montana Mongoose or Renzetti Traveller vise

atlantisboy911

atlantisboy911

I know a few of you have the Mongoose and wondered if you had also tried the Renzetti and could offer any advice in the differences and or preferences.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all PAFF.

Never used the Mongoose, but thumbs up on the Renzetti Traveller....

Thanks Afish, I know somone has a Mongoose think it might be Ernie Ball.

I never tried the mongoose, but I have a renzetti traveler and love it.

I own a Renzetti Master, and since getting that vice 15 years ago i have never looked back,however i always try to steer folks to a Renzetti Tarveller, it will tie most anything you will need here in Pennsylvania or for Saltwater,unless you are tying 5/0 and bigger presentation Classic Atlantic Salmon flies or Billfish teasers or flies.
The Traveller also has been imprved it has borrowed the cam operated vice head that the Master always has had.Easy to adjust to many different size hooks at a sit down session.
I had a Thompson before this vice it was a 360SLT an i was tying for four shops and a bunch of clients needed a vice that did it all that why i went to rotary an also Renzetti.Renzetti set the bar,the others have tried to reinvent the wheel.
BTW there is a fellow in my local tying club{Lehigh Valley Flytyers} that has a griffin mongoose an it is a good vice, but for my money its Renzetti.
Another thing though ask your self how important is getting a rotary vice? will you use that feature alot?be it for examining yer progress as you tie a fly, or Palmering hackle, or winding collars ,or winding ribs of tinsel or wire,making floss bodies,making tinsel bodie ect.
If you think that doin that on rotary will yer cup of tea ..by all means go rotary,if not try an HMH stationary,onlt differences are the rotary feature an the fact that on stationary vices you will have to change heads for different size hooks,meaning one head might be good for say 5 sizes of hooks when you go bigger or smaller you will need to change to a different head to get a head that holds either larger or smaller hooks.Go Renzetti Traveller or if stationary go HMH Spartan.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I've always been a fan of the Griffins, I currenly use their entry-level rotary vise, the Odyssey Spider Vise, and it's an excellent piece for the price. Only thing really keeping me away from the Renzetti's is the price tag, they're a little out of my price range...

I have a Traveler and love it. However, I have not tried a Griffin. Do not know how it could be better then a Renzetti though.

Greatly enjoying my traveler. I finally saw the rotary light when tying my first dozen streamers with it.

20+ years ago I started with my first vice being a Renzetti. I found I was too heavy handed and the vice would move all over while tying. I took it back and traded it for the Griffin 3ARP. It has full rotation but is not considered rotary because it doesn't rotate on the axis of the hook shank. But I've never really found that to be a problem, you can still spin chenille or dubbing or hackle if you like.

I'd recommend it for the heavy handed tyers. Its solid with the pedestal base.

Here is a pic
superior3ARP-thm.jpg

Thanks for all your comments, I currently use a Dan Vise and defintely use the rotary function alot so its defintely between the traveller or the mongoose.There is a special on the web for the Mongoose at $180 with pedestal , clamp, extra bobbin, hackle fauge and carrying case, normally retails at $220. Problem is I can try the Renzetti at a fly shop in the area but don't know anyone that has the Griffin , I would be buying without trying which I normally don't like to do.

I will wait and see if the other board members who have the Mongoose weigh in.

Enjoy your turkey:)

i recently upgraded to a r-traveler and love it.

I have the Griffin Montana Mongoose. I bought mine factory direct in 2005. It's the only vice I have ever owned. I love it. It works very well and comes with a handy hardside case, pedestal base clamp, hackle gage and a ceramic bobbin. The smallest flies I have tied on it are size 24 Tricos and it worked great. I would recommend it to anybody but like I said it's really the only vise I have much experience with. :-D

im going to steer you away from both and say peak . very usable main jaws with affordable midge and salt jaws . built really solid. cam operation relativly smooth after a few weeks around 150ish and the coolest bobbin rest ever . after that id say mongoose then renzetti i just think that the renzettis your paying 50 bucks the name over the peak and the optional jaws are way overpriced.

Anvil atlas comes with base and "C" clamp, full rotary for around 149.00

Take a look at the Peak rotary vise. It's 5lb pedestal base, and robust everything else make it a real workhorse. The optional bolt-on D-Arm makes using the rotary function very easy and precise. The Danvise has a similar arm, but I don't see why all rotary vises aren't equipped this way.

Griffin jaws are great. i used to use one. Never had an issue.

Thanks everyone, I am going to try out the peak this weekend, I think its going to be between the peak and the Renzetti as I can try both of those out. I don't think I am happy commiting to the Mongoose without having the chance to try it.

I recommend a regal if your taking other vise suggestions.

He is taking recommendations on vices that are full and true rotary. Obviously, Regals are not.

Obviously you dont own a regal. While its not the simplest thing to use the rotary future on medallion serious, it can be done. I used to do it all the time with my medallion, before i purchased the revolution. Which of coarse is much easier to use as a rotary vise.

You doing the right thing by trying out the vises before you buy one. You can get all the vise recommendations you want, but its not gonna make you like a vise more. Who knows you could not like either when you tie on them.

Its all tier preference anyways.

Back