Greys streamflex reel

LOL

Tempting, what can you sweeten teh deal with? C'mon, its #42, that's the answer to life, the unvierse, and everything man..

I was using the Lamson Konic 1.5, it made the rod somewhat tip heavy, but it wasn't that bad at all. (I should have let you guys try it out on Spring.) I did get an Allen Trout 3/5 and it seems to balance it nicely. I also plan on getting a Lamson ULA Purist still, so I'll let ya know how that one goes. Good luck with the new stick.

If the Konic makes it tip heavy, the ULA will just make it worse. But you already know that. What's your theory on it?

jayL wrote:
I got a new 10' 4wt greys streamflex, but none of the reels I own will balance it.
What are you using with this rod, if you have it? Any cheap reel suggestions?

FWIW, my 3wt came in today, and its apt to be a bit "tip heavy" compared to what most people say is normal even with a 1494 and a 3DT line.

With about 20' of line out, its definatly tip heavy. I haven't casted it, yet, so I'm curious to see how it feels as I think my normal feel is to have a little more heft to the hand so it sort of rolls through motion when I cast.

Actually thinking about weighting it a bit, I'd wager the 1594 or 1494 1/2 would definatly do you right.

Shame I tore my 1494 1/2 down for parts, eh?

Over all they are great, and quite light rods for the length, but man you put that extra foot on the end and it really changes the balance of things, eh?

I learned that from both the 10' Teeny and the 11'6" Caberla's... Both of which you can strive real hard to get that "proper balance" thing going, only to find out it becomes fatiguing with that much weight at the bottom end.

I was pretty surprised at way this thing balances out at 10', though. I figured the 1494 would be deadnuts to the "usual" balance point, but not quite.

I am going to go with the allen alpha for now, because I already have it. It's a touch lighter than the suggested medalists, but I can't justify buying a new reel.

Scroll down I guess the old models are going for 200

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/used.htm

I put a 1595 Medalist on my 10' 4wt and it is deadnuts

brianb wrote:

So what would make it livenuts ?

brianb wrote:

frederick wrote:

Nothing they're dead

brianb wrote:
brianb wrote:

frederick wrote:

Nothing they're dead

Why are they dead ?

for euro nymphing i might prefer a rod that is not balanced and maybe butt heavy as it makes it easier to hold up all day

Yeah. The problem is that this rod was the opposite. It would take a penn international to make it butt heavy with line out.

The other problem is if you have multiple rods of the same weight, you're either going to need multiple lines or one reel that'll cover both ends.

THat's why my 3wt has a 1494 and not a 1495 on it, I can't justify a 6'6" 3wt with the 1495 on the handle, as the 1494 already overpowers it.

Back