Grey's Fly Rods

W

wrangler412

I was thinking about ordering a Grey's fly rod, specifically the xf2 in a 3 or 4 weight. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with grey's or this rod specifically. Any info/recommendations would be helpful thanks.

Don't have first hand experience, but I know of a lot of people that purchased their rods with great result. Great nymphing rods

had a streamflex 10' 3wt.
it was a one trick pony.
i kept it for about a month, then moved on.

what do you mean by one trick pony?

and also then what recommendations would you have?

As the current owner of the ex-gfen Streamflex 10' 3wt, I'll attempt to clarify.

The Streamflex is probably best described as a "specialty" rod. It excels at nymphing - especially with little or no fly line out of the tip. It's length helps keep line off the water, and it's soft tip helps cast leader only rigs. It also cushions tippet when fighting fish, and helps when fighting small fish - not to say it won't handle larger fish.

All that said, it will do other things like casting dries, swinging wets, throwing light indicator rigs, and even throwing small to medium size streamers. Is it the best choice for those other things? No, but in a pinch, it'll do an adequate job.

My advise would be to choose a rod that excels at what you intend to use it most for. If you want a small to medium size stream nymphing rod, the Streamflex is a great choice. If you want a rod that is more versatile, a 9' 4wt might be a better choice. YMMV...

Hey Wrangler. I have allot of experience with the greys line. I currently have quite a few of these rods and would be happy to give you any info.
I currently have the streamflex series in 10' 3wt and 4 wt.
I have the 11' XF2 in 4wt and the XF2 plus in 5wt and also have the 10' 7wt GRXI.
Pm me and I can give you a detailed run down.

I recently bought a greys x-flite. I haven't put it to use yet but I'll post a report once I do. So far it looks fantastic, weighs next to nothing and feels pretty good in hand. I got an 8'6" 4wt for my dry fly rod. Now I just need some fishable water to use it in....

I have the FX2 plus in 5 wt. and love it.

Back