Green Drake Nymph

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Can anyone provide or point me to a recipe for a GD nymph like the ones sold at the Feathered Hook for Penns. I refer to the ones with articulating bodies. Although I have never caught a fish with one they look pretty effective. Now that I have some time I want to tie a few. If anyone has a recipe or a link to a video it would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a great GD articulated pattern. Not the easiest to tie, but worth the effort, IMO.

See articulated nymphs about nine threads below.

Thanks. Not the most instructive video I have ever seen but it looks like the finished product might be what I am looking for. I wonder why the tyer had a black background and not much light on the fly. Sorry, but my 61 year old eyes couldn't keep up. But thanks for posting this.

Since tying articulated flies are for more advanced tyers, the video is speeded up so you need not have to watch every turn of the thread in real time. It gives you all the steps and methods used to tie the fly. I caught some nice fish on this fly both on Penns and the D River.

Here is a more basic video going through the process of tying an articulated nymph step-by-step.

The first video would be much better if it had a recipe attached. It looks like an effective pattern.

BrookieChaser wrote:
The first video would be much better if it had a recipe attached. It looks like an effective pattern.

I agree, it would be good to know the ingredients since there is no voice over.

Approximate reverse engineer of recipe:

Rear Part:

Rib: tag of tying thread that was left long. I Europe they often use very fine threads that are nevertheless quite strong.

Tail: Ostrich herl. Leave tags at collar area

Abdomen: Chickabou tied in by tip and wound like herl, then wrapped with rib.

Collar: a few turns of the ostrich herl tags

Front Part:

Attachment loop: mono secured on top, threaded through Rear part, play adjusted, then bound down on top up to thorax and back a bit so it doesn't pull out.

Attachment cover/gills: Chickabou

Wingcase: Game bird of some sort, probably pheasant, though could use turkey. He uses a lot of whatever it is.

Thorax/Legs: Looks like a blend of Squirrel and Rabbit in dubbing loop, dubbed and trimmed accordingly.

Front collar: Ostrich herl wrapped around thread for reinforcement then wrapped to head.

Substitute at will anywhere in the recipe.

Thanks DGC!

Took another look with some brightening and sharpening in VLC MP and he uses a turkey tail feather slips for the wingcase.

I thought turkey when I watched it, but I'm no expert.

Back