Green Drake Hatch 2023

570 Flies

Anyone else fish the drakes last night?
97063855 830E 4C0C A64B BB68E607E092

I'd say a few people did, though there seemed to be more Saturday night. The action started later last night than Saturday where we were.

That's what I saw Saturday night. Last night there were very few rising fish until after dark where we were.

We just returned from Penns Valley. We fished Tuesday evening, Wednesday all day and this morning. We were definitely behind the main swarm of drakes; however, we had duns and coffin flies both evenings. It was a good experience and the crowds were not terrible.

It’s interesting how every year up there has been a different experience depending on the location/volume of the hatch, weather and water conditions. This year’s challenges were low water, layered hatches (typical), high sun and hot weather.

We did well. On Tuesday, we picked off a couple fish on caddis mid afternoon. Once the drake duns started, my buddy took two on emergers. When the coffin flies hit, we picked up a couple more. On Wednesday morning, we had a ton of risers to small caddis and cornuntas in the lower section of the river. We both had a steady pick of dry fly eaters. I noticed a large inch worm on the back of a truck on the drive over to our spot. I switched to a dry dropper with a golden stonefly (Big Stimulator) on top dropped to a green weenie. The weenie took some nice wild browns on the shade bank under the trees. I even had a great surprise, when a thick 17 inch colored up rainbow crushed the golden stone and went airborne thrice during a very exciting fight. Wednesday night was tougher. The window of opportunity was small due to the waning hatch a hot bluebird day. I took two at dark, but it was a tough go.

Big fish of the trip came on Wednesday night at approximately 10pm. I had a line of drake eaters on the opposite bank and was really struggling to judge my cast, when I heard a nice gulp about 15 feet downstream to the left of me. I dropped the coffin fly down to it twice and lifted to the gulp. The fish dogged down in the eddy and did not go on any big runs. I was able to land her pretty quickly on 3X. Another great drake year in the books!

For those concerned about water temps. We took stream temps each day. Tuesday afternoon was 64. Wednesday morning was 62 and 65, when we took our break. We did record 69, Wednesday afternoon down low (Below Weikert). When we arrived for the evening hatch it was 64 upstream. Both nights were chilly with temps in the 50s. This morning it was back down to 62 in the lower stretch.

Attachments

• 230F8641-C554-4831-AD7E-F1DBD82FE700.jpeg
    230F8641-C554-4831-AD7E-F1DBD82FE700.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 8AD4D96B-4038-47C4-A4C9-4508E6B2B454.jpeg
    8AD4D96B-4038-47C4-A4C9-4508E6B2B454.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 162
  • 7A88E2CE-80A8-4F88-B891-EB0268E9DF66.jpeg
    7A88E2CE-80A8-4F88-B891-EB0268E9DF66.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 7D6FE912-7449-44B2-B55A-155D6B2F62EA.jpeg
    7D6FE912-7449-44B2-B55A-155D6B2F62EA.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
The forecast for Centre County calls for 92F this afternoon.

So the temperature in Penns Creek will surely go over 70F this afternoon.

The forecast for Centre County calls for 92F this afternoon.

So the temperature in Penns Creek will surely go over 70F this afternoon.
Absolutely. I would not be fishing it moving forward until something drastically differently happens weather wise.

The exceptions being if you are targeting smallmouth or focusing on the early morning hours. Give them a break!

Last edited:
We just returned from Penns Valley. We fished Tuesday evening, Wednesday all day and this morning. We were definitely behind the main swarm of drakes; however, we had duns and coffin flies both evenings. It was a good experience and the crowds were not terrible.

It’s interesting how every year up there has been a different experience depending on the location/volume of the hatch, weather and water conditions. This year’s challenges were low water, layered hatches (typical), high sun and hot weather.

We did well. On Tuesday, we picked off a couple fish on caddis mid afternoon. Once the drake duns started, my buddy took two on emergers. When the coffin flies hit, we picked up a couple more. On Wednesday morning, we had a ton of risers to small caddis and cornuntas in the lower section of the river. We both had a steady pick of dry fly eaters. I noticed a large inch worm on the back of a truck on the drive over to our spot. I switched to a dry dropper with a golden stonefly (Big Stimulator) on top dropped to a green weenie. The weenie took some nice wild browns on the shade bank under the trees. I even had a great surprise, when a thick 17 inch colored up rainbow crushed the golden stone and went airborne thrice during a very exciting fight. Wednesday night was tougher. The window of opportunity was small due to the waning hatch a hot bluebird day. I took two at dark, but it was a tough go.

Big fish of the trip came on Wednesday night at approximately 10pm. I had a line of drake eaters on the opposite bank and was really struggling to judge my cast, when I heard a nice gulp about 15 feet downstream to the left of me. I dropped the coffin fly down to it twice and lifted to the gulp. The fish dogged down in the eddy and did not go on any big runs. I was able to land her pretty quickly on 3X. Another great drake year in the books!

For those concerned about water temps. We took stream temps each day. Tuesday afternoon was 64. Wednesday morning was 62 and 65, when we took our break. We did record 69, Wednesday afternoon down low (Below Weikert). When we arrived for the evening hatch it was 64 upstream. Both nights were chilly with temps in the 50s. This morning it was back down to 62 in the lower stretch.
That Brown in picture 2/4 is absolutely BEAUTIFUL !! and that coffin fly on your forearm is funny!

When you try to describe the GD experience to someone who doesn't fish ... in the heat of the hatch when you cant even see the night sky ... they act like you're dreaming and making it all up. its just incredible.

Glad you had a great & safe trip.

Back