Green Drake Hackle

F

fisherboy3

Going to start tying up some drakes. What color hackle do you guys use for a parachute or a spinner? I figured grizzly for the spinners. Ive seen olive dyed grizzly for a dun but ive also seen brown and grizzly mixed. What do you guys use?

Kev

I use silver badger for coffin flies and grizzly/brown for duns. I dont have a lot of hackle though. Grizzly/dun mixed might look good too.

Alright cool. I may try the olive dyed grizzly as well.

I actually prefer yellow dyed grizzly for green drakes. In my opinion there's not much green about them.

The under body on a dun is cream colored but wings are green as well as the legs.

I use the olive dyed grizzly for duns. I usually tie parachutes for the duns. For spinners I use cream hackle.

Enough options already stated. They are called GREEN drakes for a reason and it isn't because of their body color.

JackM,

You are spot-on. Their body color is not green, and neither is their legs. The wings can have the color green in them, depending upon the stream they came from. The overall length can vary, once again depending upon the stream. Perhaps, having to do with nutriments in the stream.

This: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/771

I mix ginger and grizzly

Ended up getting a whiting high and dry olive dyed grizzly for it. Should be good.

I knows drakes are blast/spectacle, but the best pattern to use during a drake hatch on Penns is a sulphur.

MKern wrote:
I knows drakes are blast/spectacle, but the best pattern to use during a drake hatch on Penns is a sulphur.

So true.

PennKev wrote:
MKern wrote:

So true.

+1 +1 on that ^

I've caught 100 fish on sulphurs for every one on a GD.

GDs for show and sulphurs for dough.....or sumthin' like that :)

Green Drake comparaduns are good. No hackle required.

afishinado wrote:
PennKev wrote:
MKern wrote:

So true.

+1 +1 on that ^

I've caught 100 fish on sulphurs for every one on a GD.

GDs for show and sulphurs for dough.....or sumthin' like that :)

+++++++^

in my opinion its not worth the money buying hackle and such for them just buy some at the fly shop

drakes

Attachments

• DSCF1273b.jpg
    DSCF1273b.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8
pine creek darke

Attachments

• DSCF7748 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    DSCF7748 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF7745 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    DSCF7745 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3
  • 5-30-07 049.jpg
    5-30-07 049.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6-7-2011 pine 025.jpg
    6-7-2011 pine 025.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3
Green Drakes on freestone streams seem to be green.
While limestone stream drakes have more of a yellow tint.

Perfect timing for this post... I am heading up to fish Penns for 4 days after Memorial Day :) I’ll be tying up some sulfurs for sure.

Here's a female Green Drake dun for color reference.

Attachments

• GreenDrakeFemaleResized.jpg
    GreenDrakeFemaleResized.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 4
Yep. Olive dyed grizzly will do.

Back