Great Socks

S

Sylvaneous

Great socks make a big difference. My first were Filsons over-the-calfs. They were legendary. Then I found Smart Wool. Excellent. Then Darn Tough. Excellent as well. Not a 'creamy' feeling as Smart Wool. Now I'm also a fan of a brand called "Fits" I got at Appalachian Outfitters in State College. I got expedition weight boot socks. They are 74% merino wool. What sets them apart is their extreme stretchiness. They have what I'll call a multi-phase architecture. I won't try to explain it here. It has to be seen. It's very stretchy all up the leg. It has an extremely pronounced heel cup. All this makes the sock stay very well when worn under waders without a very strong band that can impinge on circulation. It's a smooth squeeze. The foot has more wool cushion and insulation than the leg, which is really nice. Your thermal underwear come down to your ankles, so you don't need that much more from your socks there. I've never had a problem with specifically cold calves. This eliminates unnecessary bulk and makes it easier to take off your waders.

I can't say they are the best, I just don't know what is better. Less expensive than Darn Tough, about the same price as Smart Wool, maybe a dollar or 2 less.
And made in North Carolina.

syl

I was given a pair of the Fits socks for an x-mas gift. I'm anxious to use them. It will soon be time.

Sounds like something worth trying out.

I always used to wear wool socks for cold weather fishing. Then a few years ago, I tried alpaca. And I like them a little better. They keep the feet quite warm, and are a little more comfortable IMO

Wool socks work great for cold weather fishing. And I have a plethora, most of which double as hunting socks.

My issue has always been WARM weather socks. I typically wear socks under my wading bootie. Cotton ones of course soak up sweat and hold it, and then your foot looks like a pickle by the end of a hard day. And, being wet softens the skin which can lead to forming blisters easier and so forth.

Wool is too warm. Was always looking for a good pair of wicking, lightweight socks. In other garments I look for 100% polyester for the same thing, with nylon being pretty good as well, and absolutely no cotton, ever. With socks, though, it's hard to find anything lightweight that doesn't have at least 40-50% cotton, even in the "hiking sock" realm. Anyone have a go-to for this?

I have a pair of the alpaca socks as well. They do keep my feet warm but the pair I have doesn't have enough "elastic" type material and they fall down. I'm soon walking on a big wrinkle of sock and it gets annoying.
Hoping the Fits sock is a happy medium of warmth and sock staying up.

Good post, Ill have too look into these.

I, too, am on the hunt for a good warm weather/summer sock. i typically wear a lighter wool sock, but my feet sweat a ton in them.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/socks-gloves/sport-crew-sock.html

50% merino wool blend with synthetic is what I have found to work for me in the summer for comfort and heat purposes.

This is one example but I believe Smartwool and others have similar versions. The best thing is the less wool, the less expensive they are. Still 15 dollars for a pair but a few pairs will last a couple years and to me are worth it. Better than 25 bucks for a pair that are 'better' but are way too warm.

pcray1231 wrote:
Wool socks work great for cold weather fishing. And I have a plethora, most of which double as hunting socks.

My issue has always been WARM weather socks.

Wool is too warm. Anyone have a go-to for this?

The best answer is light weight merino wool. There really is nothing that will work any better. And I'd recommend SmartWool, as I have a lot of experience with their light weight socks in warm weather.
It's best if you can go to an authoritative outdoor store, like Appalachian Outfitters in State college and work with them.

JBeary

I wear 100% wool socks year round, fishing, working, whatever. I thought they would be too hot in the summer, but either my feet are numbed to the warmth, or they are just plain comfortable (but then again, one of my favorite summertime fishing tops is a lightweight merino wool long sleeve shirt). My socks are 100% SmartWool - a lot of them are seconds from STP and they don't seem to hold up as well as some of the older pairs I have. I have some of the SmartWool heavy hunting socks that I use for cold weather angling, but they are also bulkier, which means less circulation.

Back