Great article

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

Made me think of some discussions on here in regards to finding wild trout streams.

orvis article

I liked the article. I think it brought up some important points that are overlooked in today's "internet age" of instant information.

Bill Tappley was a treat to read whether he was writing about the sport or writing his latest stem-winder murder mystery. He left us way too soon (around age 70, IIRC...)

What's more, I learned a lot from his Dad (HG Tappley) whose Tap's Tips" column in Field & Stream taught me that if you cut those little knobs open you often see on the stems of goldenrod, they have a little grub inside which makes great bait for panfish or trout.

I'm glad Orvis got permission from Bill's estate to publish some of his stuff.

Very enjoyable read. Thanks.

This:

"I suspect Dad had to bite his tongue a thousand times. It would’ve been easy for him to say, “No, no. Do it this way.” But he never did.

"We just went fishing together. He did it his way, and I did it mine, and you can be sure I watched him closely, because it was pretty obvious that his ways worked better than mine did."

This what I recall going fishing with my dad. Growing up, I'm sure the fishing trips I accompanied him numbered in the high hundreds. He was by far the best trout fisherman I have ever fished with, and I have fished with some exceptional folks. He could worry a trout out of a stream when no one thought any were there. But the method described above, that of simply watching him fish and trying to imitate it is how I learned. I have a grandson to teach now and I'm guessing that's how it will go down.

Back