Gray fox mayfly

dc410

dc410

Gray Fox dun
IMG 8677

Beautiful. Where did you get it? I'm still not sure why they classify them the same as a march brown. I remember 1 evening when Penns had been blown out for days and we were just fishing for the heck of it at the huge hole where Poe runs in. Next thing you know, big fish start coming up in the middle of it as gray foxes started to come off. Seldom do you see fish come up in high water right in the middle of the deepest water.

Beautiful. Where did you get it? I'm still not sure why they classify them the same as a march brown. I remember 1 evening when Penns had been blown out for days and we were just fishing for the heck of it at the huge hole where Poe runs in. Next thing you know, big fish start coming up in the middle of it as gray foxes started to come off. Seldom do you see fish come up in high water right in the middle of the deepest water.
By checking the DNA instead of just relying on visible markers.

We fished Yellow Creek in Bedford County last Saturday. Around 3 PM, we were seeing big mayflies sporadically landing on the water. Too big to be sulphurs, I thought they might be Cahills. The fish that were rising weren’t going after them, they preferred tiny midges. I did manage to catch a rainbow on a #14 Light Cahill emerger pattern. We left around five so not sure if a bigger hatch developed. Once at home, I consulted several books and pictures of mayflies and figured they were Gray Foxes.

3/4-1 inch long? That's a big one. (Great photo.)

Back