Grasshoppers - Where are they?

Letort

I have seen very, very few in my area (SC PA) so far this summer. What about your area?

I live beside some large fields that up until 2 years ago produced large amounts of grasshoppers. My cat would catch one every now and then and bring them into the house.

The last 2 years I haven't seen any, and the cat hasn't brought us a prize either.

Look for grasshoppers in the grass. I saw a large one in the shade of the Courthouse. Global warming is to blame.

I'm seeing a lot in NY. I don't recall how it compares to previous years, but every hike I've been on for the past month has had a mess jumping / flying ahead of me on the trail. The kids have been chasing and capturing them.

I saw a giant green one on a glass door at work yesterday. I also saw one chilling on a piece of slate in my yard today. 🤷‍♂️

Dear Letort,

This usually prime time for them where I live just outside of Harrisburg, and I haven't seen one this year. Many years around the end of August when I took the dog out, he or she would spend time chasing grasshoppers. Not this year.

I will say that we had lightning bugs in our yard for a solid month this Summer. I don't think I saw 10 of them total in the prior couple of years.

Maybe some insects just run in cycles?

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

I had crazy slug issues in my garden this year. I know several counties where slugs hit crops hard this year. We had more lightning bugs around me this year than I have seen in a long time. I cant say I have seen a grasshopper this year. Seem to have large crickets in spurts around my house that I don't recall. It was a strange year with early warm up

Back