Grass Bass

semperfish

semperfish

I've noticed waaaay more weedage in the Neshaminy Creek this year. It's long stringy stuff and it's in areas I've never seen it before. I've been fishing this creek for 10 years and have never seen this before, including last year. So it's all new growth.
I fish topwater 95% of the time and so it only affects me as I'm moving about; gotta move even slower to make sure I don't get tripped up. It hasn't affected the fishing. Pics are a nice smallmouth from yesterday and a typical Neshaminy Rainbow like Dave W described in his article. By the way....the picture of the redbreast looks washed out to me....their coloration is actually much more brilliant. Almost fluorescent....amazing.

Any thoughts or ideas about this stuff? Is the Neshaminy destined to be choked off or is it a passing (hopefully) thing?

Attachments

• 070320.jpg
    070320.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Neshaminy Rainbow.jpg
    Neshaminy Rainbow.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 12
I noticed a lot of water plants growing in Spring Creek also.

For the last several years we've had a lot of rainfall in the summer that kept flows high. When the flows are high and the water is off color, less sunlight reaches the bottom of the stream.

This year we're getting low flows in the summer. Lower flows and clearer water means more sun reaching the stream bottom, promoting more growth of aquatic vegetation.

Also, periodic higher flows break the long strands that have grown during low flow periods. Substantial nutrient levels in streams also promote such growth.

I saw these conditions in edison and along lower state road I. The 60’s and 70’s. A really cold winter with low water will get it all straightened up again.

First year fishing Neshaminy for me but I noticed the same. Nice smallie! I have yet to catch one there but I've gotten some beautiful redbreast there and some redeyes on top.

Back