grannoms???

Grannoms will hatch later in the day if it's cold.

grannoms today at 8 am to noon in the neshanock area. fish are stuffed, dont be suprised if you dont catch a lot with perfect drifts and flies, most fish came on pull ups and swings.. just reactions.

Nice afternoon on the water. Fished Neshannock from a little before 3 until about 6:15pm. It rained the entire time, the bugs were at it the entire time, and the fish were rising the entire time. Don't think I've ever seen the grannoms hatch that heavy that late in the day before...

Got I think 5 on top and lost/missed bunch of others. They didn't come easy...........and yeah they're definitely stuffing themselves. Bouncing the flies along the surface seemed to be the most productive......didn't get all that much action dead drifting or skating. Also got a couple underneath on nymphs and my brother got some on streamers. The rain didn't really affect the conditions so far.....

Driving up thru Somerset county this morning and pulled off a couple times along the Yough, Laurel Hill and Lower Casselman. It was bright and warming and I saw good showings of what Hoover id'd for me years ago as Hydrophyche (sp??), i.e. Spotted Sedges, on all 3 rivers.

These are pale tan, hay-like in color, not the yellowish Straw-like color we sometimes read about. Size 16 and 18, pale tan wing and body, speckles on legs, not the larger, bulkier overall black-ish body of a true Grannom.

It's a morning hatch here and usually preceeds the green caddis, (Rhyacophlia ??) that gives us really great fishing in May.

BTW, hands down the heaviest emergence of grannoms I've EVER seen was on Stony Creek near Stoystown last early May. It truly did look like a snow squall over the raod and town.

I've heard reports all over the board about the fishing there; some hate that stream, others love it. But Man, the bugs were there in force, tho I've personally never fished it.

flipnfly and I hit the Neshannock yesterday for a few hours in the rain. The bugs came off and the fish rose even through some of the heavier downpours. Most of the day it was a steady sprinkle and I did quite well. Landed 13 and most were on top. I'm guessing today and tomorrow will be best for the hatch. The bugs haven't had very many days to come off so with the warmer weather and no rain I'd take a good guess that they're going to come off in big numbers and the fish will definitely notice.

My original plans for Saturday got bumped to today so I was able to get some time on the water yesterday. Went to a bunch of places. The grannoms were hatching pretty good on all parts of Neshannock, though I think I only saw a total of two rises there. Water definitely went up overnight but the stream was very fishable, and the closer you got to Mercer the better the conditions were. Noticed a great hatch on Slippery Rock too(didn't fish there though). Water was raging......well it always is even in low flows lol.

Also checked out a couple spots on Cool Spring. Unlike Neshannock there weren't many others fishing it, except for the DHALO but I didn't bother messing with the circus there. A few grannoms here and there but the fish weren't noticing.

Lastly I fished the Shenango on the way home. Not much bug activity except for some really small stuff I couldn't identify. No caddis but it's still a little early for the tan caddis there and it doesn't have any grannoms that I'm aware of.

Had good luck at all three waterways fishing different subsurface caddis imitations and wets. Also got some freshies on streamers at Cool Spring. The grannom action should be good today on Neshannock......

The grannoms peaked last week on the little j. Lots of bugs flying upstream but much on the water.lLots of sad faces yesterday as not much surface action.

streamerguy wrote:
Had good luck at all three waterways fishing different subsurface caddis imitations and wets. Also got some freshies on streamers at Cool Spring. The grannom action should be good today on Neshannock......

SG
It was good. From 11am to 1pm there were many, many bugs in the air. No surface activity from the fish, but did OK swinging wets. The water flow was heavy but with good clarity. Below surface was definitely the way to go.

Was at Neshannock yesterday from around 10:30-2:30. Lots of grannoms, but didn't see a single angler land a trout. Saw no rises either, and just caught a few creek chubs. Saw Norm there, maybe he had better luck.

The big hole behind the shop on the Neshannock is horrible for the caddis. You want faster water. I hit a hole not too far down that I saw consistent risers all day in about a 30 yard stretch. They typically hatch from the faster water and they lay their eggs there too.

I was there too, hatch was coming off nicely, like all have said. In the morning they were filming some reality show for some country network, they had guys almost elbow to elbow behaving the shop. They filmed for a couple hours and I saw a couple guys get fish subsurface.
Ryan I was fishing where you were talking about, the only risers were chubs. I fished from right above the bridge down to about 1/3rd of a mile. Talked to one guy that picked up a brown on top.
I fished a dry dropper and took a creeck chub on the dropper

I guess we'll have to do a newbie JAM there next year so I can show you guys the way! Downstream approach with some skittering works magically, just ask flipnfly.

ryguyfi wrote:
I hit a hole not too far down that I saw consistent risers all day in about a 30 yard stretch. They typically hatch from the faster water and they lay their eggs there too.

Was this on Friday when you fished it, or did you fish it another time after that?

They were rising everywhere on Friday when I fished it. Even though I only landed 5 or so on top I hooked and missed tons of others. Lots of action. Now on Saturday even though it was pretty much snowing with caddis I saw very, very few rises all day everywhere I went. They just weren't having it no matter how much you were skittering the fly!lol Now subsurface was a different story....

I've caught my share of fish on caddis dries in the slow pool behind the shop in the past, but yep when fishing caddis you definitely want to target the faster water 90% of the time.

I know Ry was there Friday because I was going to meet him. Didn't go due to radar (don't trust that) But was glad I didn't go because my "wife" had car problems and had to take care of that. Anyhow, right before I left I was hanging behind the shop and Bob's brother was slaying fish on a prince nymph, saw him hook into 8 or 10. The guy right above him was drifting his rig all the way below him with not allot of luck. Reminded me of stream etiquette GG and I saw at the Steelhead Jam. LOL

Friday they were rising in the rain showers pretty consistently. Even when the showers chased us under the bridge we were picking out a few risers here and there. It sprinkled or a steady light rain on us the whole day and the fish were very active.

Yeah, and there were still risers even during the really heavy downpours that went through Friday! Just found it odd that there was virtually no topwater action Saturday despite all the bugs..

Back