grannoms???

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Any word yet on the Little J and/or the Neshannock?

It's about that time.

I was thinking the same thing.

Sunday around midday I fished Neshannock a little ways upstream from New Castle but didn't see any bug action(well, some, but no grannoms...). Any day now I'm guessing....

Called Neshanock earlier, he said no hide nor hair of a grannom yet. Cant decide to stay in town Saturday or head to the little J?

I'll be on the little J tomorrow. I'll post a report if I see any action.

There were a decent number of caddis in the Oil City area at the beginning of the week. Not a huge hatch, but enough. Particularly for the size of stream I was fishing. I would expect it to happen soon since the weather looks warm for the short term.

Kev

Yeah my work schedule next week was completely open on Wednesday and I put in a several hour appointment with Robert Grannom. Luckily no one fly fishes here. Hoping they start by then.

I'll be at the Neshannock as I can't travel that far playing hooky.

Was at the little j on sunday, nothing yet. Heading out all day saturday

I skipped around to a couple different locations on Neshannock today as well as a smaller nearby stocked stream. As usual the DHALO was twice as crowded as all the open regs water combined, though that doesn't necessarily mean it was fishing any better than the open water.....

Anyways, I saw a couple caddis fluttering about but nothing to get excited over. Other than a couple shiners and chubs rising to some small stuff I did see two trout rise. 40% chance of thunder showers on Tuesday.......watch we end up getting dumped with a ton of rain and they start and finish while it's high and muddy like two years ago.

A buddy and I fished the little J all day Friday. I saw a handful of caddis throughout the day but no real action on them. We did find risers to what I am assuming were bwo's and midges. CDC emergers, parachute Adams and griffiths gnats took some fish on top.

Wonder if they came off today, people were prob busy with Easter and highs were in the 70's across the state.

BWOs started round five on saturday, other then that it was a long day on the water...

No 70's here in SE PA.

i was at the J all day Saturday, and only saw a couple grannoms. I fished the lower and middle river. lots of olives in the 16 range hatching most of the day, as well as stones. few rises to the olives. nymphing was productive, though.

UPDATE!!!

http://www.ncflyshop.com/news.stm

Sweet! Now lets just hope they're still going strong for Sunday.........as I can't fish it until then :-(

5 days is fairly average. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Hit the grannoms on the Neshannock for a few hours yesterday. The cold must have put the bugs down because I didn't see many adults. There were still a fair amount of risers and landed a few and missed a bunch. Landed my first double swinging some wets before I saw any adults. Action heated up around 2:00. I expect if the weather is warmer then that will start earlier in the day. I plan to be back on Friday for a few hours.

Nice. If all goes as planned I'll be fishing it tomorrow.........but can't be on the water until 2:30 at the earliest. Hopefully I'm not late to the party.

Gonna fish it Sunday too. Maybe this colder weather will extend the hatch a little..

I left around 4:30 and there were still fish rising and just a few more bugs coming off.

remember when fishing caddis to fish the riffles.

Good to know. Just don't want to show up only to have someone tell me "You should have been here a few hours ago! We were fishing 3 fly rigs and catching 3 fish on top on every cast!" lol

I also had good luck dead drifting and swinging wets last Sunday when I fished it.....so that's always an option if thing's aren't happening on top.

Back