Grand Lake Stream Late Season

hooker-of-men

I have an opportunity to meet a buddy for a long weekend at Grand Lake Stream in late October. Has anyone been up that late that can offer feedback on how it is? I believe this would be about the last weekend it's open. I'm looking at 8 hour drives on either end of a short trip, so I'm stressing.

Rangeley River is open into fall, but it appears to be a more marginal river for the Rangeley region. The "Big Three" more famous options are mostly closed. Any thoughts on Rangeley?

Other Maine fall suggestions are also very welcome. We would have loved to kayak fish for stripers around Portland, but all signs point to this being a bit too late to find fish that far north.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited:
I don't know where you live or how fast you drive but from central PA it is virtually impossible to get to Rangeley in 8 hours. If you go try the Kennebago River for landlocked if the season is still open. The Maggolloway & Rapid are probably closed.

I don't know where you live or how fast you drive but from central PA it is virtually impossible to get to Rangeley in 8 hours. If you go try the Kennebago River for landlocked if the season is still open. The Maggolloway & Rapid are probably closed.

Thanks, wbranch. I'm in the Adirondacks - not PA - so it's about 8 hours to GSL. It's only 5 and change to Rangeley region, but, as you say, most of those rivers are closed by then.

Last edited:
Grand Lake Stream is at “draught levels” with a release of 159 cfs. The guides and lodge owners are at the mercy of the company that owns the dam, and they don’t seem to want to cooperate the last couple of years.

I’d call Canal Side Cabins or Weatherby’s when the time gets closer and check on the fishing. Jeff from Weatherby’s posts a fishing report under Orvis. Just Google Grand Lake Stream fishing report for the latest update.

For lodging, Canal Side is MUCH cheaper. John and Mary are fantastic hosts. You won’t find nicer people. Weatherby’s has fine dining, though. If staying at Canal Side, you be eating at the Pine Tree Store.

Ive been hearing GLS is super low with no end insight, rangely region is okish. For that time of year I would head to Greenville area and at least hit the EO. Not sure what else is open around then.

Good luck!!! I would pop into a fly shop like All Points to get some intel on the striper that are around. They have some awesome flies too.

If you want a guide hit up Origin Outfitters. I went out with late last year and he put us on fish.

If you do get the trout itch, just be aware that Maine closes the vast majority of its waters on 9/30. There are still opportunities for trout, but you'll have to look at the special regs.

If you do get the trout itch, just be aware that Maine closes the vast majority of its waters on 9/30. There are still opportunities for trout, but you'll have to look at the special regs.

Yeah, after making the initial post, I spent a few weeks discovering that Maine does a very good job of protecting wild fish during spawning. Once I realized I was going to spend a whole lot of time driving to fish rivers with tons of stockies, I decided striper were worth the risk.

Definitely plan to hit up All Points. I've already been stalking all their online info (along with every other shop/guide in the area) 👍

Yeah, after making the initial post, I spent a few weeks discovering that Maine does a very good job of protecting wild fish during spawning. Once I realized I was going to spend a whole lot of time driving to fish rivers with tons of stockies, I decided striper were worth the risk.

Definitely plan to hit up All Points. I've already been stalking all their online info (along with every other shop/guide in the area) 👍
Good luck! Hope you guys do well! Their flies are awesome, make sure you grab some black clousers!

There are some good spots still open for trout/LLS, but like you said you have to just make the drive. Lots of good food, breweries, etc up along the coast.

El skunko. Fished pretty hard and covered a lot of ground, but didn't see much of anything - birds, bait, bass. Sunday around noon I had my trophy catch of the trip: hooked up with some Covid and fought it laying in bed in the rental for 20 hours. The drive back to NY today was pretty choice.

I saw All Points recently posted that folks are still finding schoolies. It must be very much right place, right time in isolated spots. I did catch a crab that grabbed a clouser. Ha. And Covid... did I mention the Covid?

Hopefully, I'll get some NJ trips in in the next few weeks.

Back