GPS

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

another thing i have been thinking about is getting a good gps hand held unit. any suggestions. im not looking for anything too expensive. just a basic unit. thanks! :-D

I, for one, can't resist my computer nerd urges.... I'm secretly waiting for the iphone to get GPS functionality. Should happen within a year or so I hope.

Here's a list of what Dell sells. From what I can gather, Garmin seems to be a popular brand.

http://tinyurl.com/248qku

I have the Garmin eTrex Legend. Look for something with a stronger antena. Don't get me wrong, I like the thing ALOT. If it could get a better signal I'd be in love with it. If you are on a trail or in clearing, you can get a sounding as to where you are. Once you are under tree cover though... all bets are off.

The Legend is the most basic model they make. So I would think the other units have addressed this issue. Also a color screen would be very helpful, if you can afford the ones that have them. There are tons of reviews online for this kind of thing though. If you find a particular model appeals to you, google the model and "review" and you'll get a deluge.

Garmin's features and software are excellent. Be sure to buy a "bundle" of the unit and software. You'll get a set of topo maps of North America and city guides. I really enjoy both.

I have the Magellan Explorist (i forget the model #), it was about $100-150 and came with a software package, like Padraic said its really nice to have to download maps onto your GPS then track what section of the particular stream you covered for the day then download that back onto your computer for your records. They sell waterproof ones, but I'm not sure how expensive theyd be for a quality one. I think mine said it was water resistant. Also another nice feature to get is one that you can add memory too using an SD card or what not, this comes in handy when you really start downloading a lot of maps.

I have a Magellin Meridian Platinum that I got a few years ago for a trip to Yellowstone. As Padraic said, sometimes the reception isn't great in dense forrest. The topo maps in the unit is a really nice feature.

When you get the GPS start checking this site out. You will end up going to some cool places. Some of them even have fish to boot.

http://www.geocaching.com

Whenever I look at the geocaching site, I'm amazed all all of the stuff that I've been within 5-10 feet of many times without realizing it. Those things are everywhere! Never realized it was so popular before a few months ago when I last looked.

I have the lowrance I-Finder, I use it when out fishing and in the van trail riding..I was a member of the geocaching till my legs got worse. (arterial clogging) can't walk as far as i used to..I liked to mix fly fishing with caching... lowrance is one of the largest gps companys...

Back