Gotta love Carpin !!

delta_dog

delta_dog

I spent a few hours today prospecting some new water for Carp and ended up doing pretty well. I ended up hitting 3 new spots and all 3 had carp. I ended up spooking a bunch of Carp at the first spot I hit due to all the brush breaking i had to do to get to the creek. After checking the area out for about 10 min I made my way back to the truck. After showing up at spot 2 I realized this wasn't gonna be great Carp water but might hold some Smallies so I gave it a whirl and started fishing upstream picking up a few 8 to 10in Smallies when i came up to some really fast water and was surprised to see some Carp holding tight on the bottom. There were 5 or 6 of them but they wanted nothing to do with my fly as it blew by them a Mach 4 so I packed it up and headed for spot 3. When I showed up at the third spot I immediately saw Carp feeding and started thinking this is gonna be fun. I stood there for awhile and just watched how they were feeding and which direction they were moving. After a few refusals I ended up picking up the first fish out of that pod. It ended up being a smaller fish in the 5 lb range. I kept moving till I saw the next pod and again I picked up another smaller fish. I was thinking a fish is a fish but I couldn't help but think there has to be some bigger ones here so I kept moving. After a decent hike I saw another pod and got setup and made a few casts to them but nothing when Bam....Strip....Set....GONE. That fish spooked the whole pod and they scattered like mice. About this time I could hear thunder off I the distant and thought well I might get one more chance when all of a sudden that pod that just spooked came right back together and the lead fish was a nice one. They were headed upstream so I kneeled down in the water and waited till they passed me before I got out of the water. I then walked up ahead of them and got back in the water and waited and waited and waited. Just as I saw them headed up towards me I swam my fly right in front of the lead fish and saw his head turn quick and Fish On and he wasn't happy. I fought that fish for a little over 30min up and down the creek till I finally got him. It wasn't the biggest Carp I ever caught but it was the best fighting Carp I ever caught.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 7
Awesome report, love those golden bones!

Very cool. I have been itching to try that. I know they give a really good fight.

Nice job,

GenCon

Nice job, d-dog! What kind of fly were you tossing at 'em?

Nice write-up. I need to try to catch some carp on the fly. I've caught one on spinning gear before, and had a lot of fun doing it.

I got back out today a picked up a few more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 3
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
Cool stuff. What fly(s) were you using?

I've been using a fly I've had a ton of success with for both Smallies and Carp but just about any carp pattern on the Internet will work. Small (8-10) buggers work pretty well and if the Carp aren't cooperating you will usually pick up some Smallies and or rock bass/sunnies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 4
Very cool!

I can hear that drag singing. :)

I gotta give it a shot here soon.

A nice carp cruised past me the other morning...just rooting around the bottom. Then I noticed the 6" smallie following behind it...absolutely grubbing out on whatever the carp was kicking up. I'm sure it's common. But I had never seen it before...thought that was pretty cool.

I can hear that drag singing.
It sounded even better on that old Cortland click & pawl on that 6wt.

Then I noticed the 6" smallie following behind it...absolutely grubbing out on whatever the carp was kicking up. I'm sure it's common. But I had never seen it before...thought that was pretty cool.
Smallies aren't the only ones that are opportunistic. I've already watched pods of Carp follow flocks of feeding geese up and down the creek eating what they stir up.

Nice tie on that bugger! Looks juicy. This time of year my options are brookie fishing for 5 inchers. Smallie fishing for 12 inchers. Or carp fishing for 5 to 12 pounders... And bigger! Last time I went carping I must've caught 50 lbs worth of drag ripping fish.

Try tying a smallish sized bugger using dumbbell eyes to flip it hookside up.

Yo Dog...hit me up some time about this! We missed the white fly catfish dry fly event last year...but I love me some carpin!

by The_Sasquatch on 2013/7/2 9:02:09 Yo Dog...hit me up some time about this! We missed the white fly catfish dry fly event last year...but I love me some carpin!

Will do guy.

Just FYI:

http://www.fishusa.com/Carp-and-Catfish-Tackle-Sale?utm_source=flyer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=flyer2013-7-2

afishinado wrote:
Just FYI:

http://www.fishusa.com/Carp-and-Catfish-Tackle-Sale?utm_source=flyer&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=flyer2013-7-2

I don't see any fly stuff on there .

Was that on the river? Sort looks like it, I know its good in the summer for them.

Got back out for a few hour before the rain and had another great day. I ended up bringing 4 to hand and lost 6 more 2 of which were 20+ .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg