Got My Orvis Batten-kill Reel From Ebay But I Have A Question About the Fly Line

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I got my English made Orvis Batten-kill reel to go with my 10ft 5wt Powell rod. I bought the reel "NOW" on Ebay at $75 and it included the fly line. This was one of the reasons I bought the reel as a good fly line is upwards of $50 bucks these days. The seller was not an experienced fisherman but was just a guy going to estate sales and then unloading stuff on Ebay. All he could say about the fly line was it was a 5 or a 6wt. When I got the reel I was surprised to see the leader. It is old but in excellent condition and is either braided or silk but I tend to think braided. My furled leader has a wider diameter than this fly line. Should I keep it or get a new line. I have to re thread the line to make the reel right handed anyway so the change over will not be a big deal except for the $$$. Here is a pic. Your thoughts are appreciated as always. Fade

Attachments

• Battenkill Reel.jpg
    Battenkill Reel.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 16
not sure what you are saying is it the leader or fly line or backing in the picture.. if that is supposed to be the line why the large loop in it?? looks like backing or a running line to me...

That is the fly line and the loop is for tying on leader and tippet. The backing is the traditional white colored line.

that is a level running line for a shooting head setup..the loop is to large for attaching a leader..its made to pass a shooting head through to do a loop to loop shooting setup. I have them for steelhead and salt, made from a level fly line...do not cut it up, save it..but you need a regular fly line for sure. any ?? feel free to call...

If it is a tapered line then you need to cut that loop off and do a nail knot with a short piece of mono then a perfection loop 3" past the end of the line. make sure you use some goop to seal the end of the fly line to keep water out...then attach the leader with a loop to loop system..

Thanks Sandfly...am heading to the Sporting Gentleman for lunch to get a new fly line. PS I switched to furled leaders and am never going back!

if ya don't want that shooting line send me a pm, i'll trade for something I have (flys)...

Sandfly...just got back from the Sporting Gentleman....that line in the picture is actually old school backing. It is made with a gel resin and it was almost impossible to cut with scissors. Barry's assistant tied a new fly line onto the backing and said this backing will last a life time. PS for anyone looking for used reels the SG has boxes full at really discounted prices.

Fade,

Is that reel heavy enough to balance your 10 foot rod?

I ended up with larger reel on my 10 foot 4 weight to achieve proper balance.

Alb you might have a point there...will try it out in the back yard tonight.

Looks like the typical braided lead setup to me. I used to use itfor all fly fishing except bass and salt. I've since changed to flouro.
If the fly line itself is in good condition, with no cracks then buy all means keep it. I would caution you on one thing though, it's not always good to overline a rod. You'll know when you try casting the setup if it's good or not.

Back