goodbye pheasants hello flies!!

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Went out today and finally got to break in my handed down Ithica model 100 20 gauge. Its nice to carry on the outdoors with you grandpas gear and still know that you can still have that connection since he has passed. I couldnt believe how well it shot, I read reviews, but today I was blown away and so were the birds!! We ended up with 6 pheasant and 4 chuckers so it wasnt a bad day here are the two biguns . couldnt have come at a better time since im down to my last beadheadflashback. .

254F21F6-331E-4BF8-A929-8B3AC699ACE3-3280-00000428442D0510.jpg

Sweet, congratulations. I really enjoy taking hunting and fishing full circle,it's a beautiful thing.

lv2nymph wrote:
Sweet, congratulations. I really enjoy taking hunting and fishing full circle,it's a beautiful thing.

Agreed. That shotgun is also beautiful.

Yes, yes it is...

Got a great source of materials now lets see those flies...

in wouldn't mind seeing the chukars! excellent soft hackle bird.

they were already breasted :(

Male pheasants have feathers with all sorts of uses. Frankly, I think the traditional tail feather used for PT nymphs etc are over-rated: they're brittle and prone to break. The body feathers are good for soft hackles and if you're careful with the hackle pliers you can even use the green head feathers for small wets and terrestrials. The shiny colorful feathers make nice decorative flies.

I've been tempted to sign up for one of those club shoots just to have an opportunity to bag some chuckers or Hungarian partridge. The skins of these birds in fly shops are very pricey and I still haven't found anything that can match 'em for soft hackle wets and nymphs.

and the briminator fly uses a church window pheasant feather.

great fly for bass and sunnies!

well, ill send you the feathers next time for half the flies!!?? haha

sound like you guys are pro but im just learning some newer patterns, and nothing has been to complicated yet. this site and youtube have been a real help so thanks guys i wrote your advice down

http://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

Great link by gfen. When you check out Gartside's site look for his sparrow nymph. This is an awesome nymph pattern. I did a thread awhile back in the fly tying forum titled "Ringneck Pheasant feathers" where I went into some detail about how I like to tie Gartside's sparrow. The movement on all components of this fly IMO is what makes it so effective. For some reason that I haven't figured out, stocked rainbows seem to jump all over it. I have always caught significantly more bows than brownies on it. Give em' a shot this season. Good fly!

thanks guys ill look them up. mainly i just wanna the beadflash back done and expeeriment from there but more suggestions are welcome!!

Back