Good vise?

trevor

trevor

What is a good, solid vise. I am getting into fly tying, and I don't want a piece of junk.

Doing a search will give you untold bounds of information, this thread is going on right now in the tying forum:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16363&forum=5

You can start with any cheap thing, it'll work. Some guys still use the most basic. Or, you can get by with a low cost, no frills rotary (ie, griffin odyessy or danvise), or you can spend spend spend (regal, peak, and renzetti seem to come up the most).

Pick a price range and go crazy.

Flyfishohio.com had a good breakdown of low cost vises, too.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.htm

I tried a few different ones and settled on the HMH. I also bought the midge jaws for it.

If you have a chance to try a few vises, do it. Like a test drive for vises.

I'm a firm believer in only spending as much on a vise as your level of commitment. Let me explain , if you are sure you are going to tie and keep at it then spend a little more and get a vise that will be a little more expensive i.e. Regal , Renzetti etc. (the price range of vises can go from $40.00 to $500.00) If you are not completely sure you are going to stay with it i'd recommend a less expensive model , a Thompson AA or thereabouts , $40.00 - $80.00. I wouldn't spend a fortune , and you easily can , on a vise unless you are sure you are gonna stick with it. In fact my bottom line advice would be to purchase a simple vise until you are sure and then buy the one that costs the $$$. You will always remember that first one and will use it as a back up or in a traveler kit.

Osprey gives good advice!

My first vice, was a starter vice, $5. It was only suppose to last about a year....It lasted 5 years until I upgraded to a vice that cost much more....I actually have to say. I love the new vice, but the old one is still used.

It's not about the money, it's about what you like, as is all other things involved in this art.

Good advise. I particularly agree on matching your spend with your commitment. I bought a Regal vise 15 - 20 years ago and still use it. It was a bit of a stretch for me when I bought it. I've seen newer vises that do more, spin around, etc., and they all look great, but I'm comfortable with my old vise. Whatever you buy, remember that it is a poor craftsman that blames the tools.

I have had my Renzetti for years and I love it.... having said that there are a lot of great choices. Don't buy a kit... the tools are typically junk.

Back