Good Temps=Get Out

JWillie34

JWillie34

Good Morning fellow fisherman!

This is my first post as a member of this site. Glad to be a part of the community.

I finally ventured out of the house by mid-morning yesterday, and it just felt like a great day to get out and wade the creek. My closest options for a last minute jaunt usually come down to somewhere on the Codorus Creek. I decided to check out the Class A section of the Trophy Trout Project. I hadn't had much luck down there in recent history, but like I said, it's close to home.

I parked at Brown Rd. and faced down stream. The water was extremely low and gin clear. There are a few deep troughs and some holes headed into the town of Porters Sideling; perfect terrain for a sizable brown to lie in wait. My fly of choice was a pink san juan worm, size #8. I was loyal to my selection for the entire walk.

Unfortunately, this story does not end with any sort of "trophy". Not a single knock, or sighting. I was, however, able to hone in on some rusty casting skills. The fact that I got out of there with the same fly I initially tied on was a win in my book. Truly, it was nice just to get my feet wet. Can't wait for Spring!!

Until the next time....

J

This stream is extremely low. It's hardly fishable. Dunno what's going on with the lake but for a stream that usually is running about three foot and now it's around two. It's super low.

Agreed. There were spots where I was standing on solid ground where there would normally be a foot or more of water. Not ideal in the least.

Correction...that was a size 18 San Juan Worm, not 8.

Those low flows might make for tough fishing now, but we'll be glad for whatever cold water they're storing when things heat up this spring. Maybe the low, gentle flows will make it easier for more of this year's newly hatched fry to survive too. Just looking for the 'silver lining' I guess.

P.S. - JWillie - Codorus TU is meeting on Wednesday night in Spring Grove. You're welcome to stop by if you'd like.

Have they purposefully changed the flow, or is it due to ice on the lake? I haven't been there in awhile. Welcome to the forum JWillie.

I'm guessing the ice on the lake has something to do with it. However the West Branch, which flows in below the dam, is contributing much less than usual too. That's just because we haven't had much precip and snow melt down here this winter. That also explains why the water is so gin clear - when the west branch is higher it usually adds a little color down in the TT section.

Thanks Tom. Dale left me a message in my inbox regarding the meeting as well. I'm definitely going to try to make it out. Hope to meet you then!

It's been low for the past month, I thought the flow was somewhat dependent on how much water the paper mill needed.

I've managed only a few little guys the last few times I've been there.

Welcome Willie, Do you fish the branch along 616 much?

I do indeed. If I don't feel like an hour+ ride, I usually go to the TT section or along 616. My son is just five, so areas on 616 are wide open enough for him to cast without too much hassle. He's not ready for the TT section yet...

The 616 stretch is so long, I've had trouble locating them unless you follow the stock trucks, but I've been successful near Granery Rd. and in spots near Hanover Junction. All in all, it's a great stretch of creek, and I feel lucky to live so close to it.

Fishing Codorus Creek in a downstream fashion is a recipe for failure. Especially when its low and clear.

Welcome to the Jungle!

freezing rain here, I'm not going anywhere.

Also last time I was there I picked up bows in the Tt area is this usual? First time this has happened.

Idratherbe - they still do some stocking up in the west branch, and I suspect that some of those bows find their way downstream to the TT area somehow. Its not typical, but it isn't unheard of either.

Back