Good starter patterns

Tweelo

Tweelo

I've only recently gotten into fly fishing. Last month, I picked up a vice and some various items to begin tying flies. I've tied a few good brassies and wooly buggers (which faired well on my recent trip to Spring Creek).

Anybody care to recommend a couple patterns they picked up early on in their fly tying?

well there are always clouser minnows, greenie weenies and basic midges

pheasant tail nymphs, sizes 10-18

The clouser minnow looks ambitious. A couple patterns I've just checked involve beads, which I've not used yet. Thanks.

Pheasant Tails and Hares ears..

I should have mentioned that I have tied a couple pheasant tails. They've held together, but they're not pretty. I can't trim it down right.

San Juan worm, green weenie,pheasant tail, gold ribbed hares ear, Walt's worm, Wooly buggers, elk hair caddis. Those should keep you busy for awhile. Have fun.

Here are some videos I whipped up, one is Hare's Ear nymph, other is the Pheasant Tail. Hope I helped.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uget5ckJln0[/youtube][youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFdMJ9ru8Zo[/youtube]

Tweelo wrote:
I should have mentioned that I have tied a couple pheasant tails. They've held together, but they're not pretty. I can't trim it down right.

I doubt any of us tied completely "pretty" flies to start out. I started tying a little over a year ago and since have tied 300-400 flies. Still not perfect but close. It just takes lots of practice like with anything. Keep tying and trying different patterns to develop the different techniques.

I still have some of the first flies I tied. They were not very pretty. It just takes time and experience. They WILL get alot better, just give it some time.

You said you fished spring creek... State College area? Scuds and Cress bugs. Also, just because a pattern you saw had a bead head, doesnt mean you have to use a bead head. I'd recommend some kind of weight on nymphs though, being bead head or lead wire or both. Remember, youtube is your friend!!!

Yeah, down by Fisherman's Paradise and then to the area they just opened to the public (I'm told a few people are but irked by that). I did some cress bugs, assorted streamers, and stone flies. I had a few hits. My friend who came with picked a good thirteen-inch brown up.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. Being as new to this as I am, it can seem overwhelming.

I'd add caddis larva in bright green, olive, and cream; sizes 14, 16 & 18. Simple pattern to tie and very effective.

San juan worms, hare's ears, and crystal meth

If you want to try a dry fly get some snowshoe hare and whip out some Usuals. There are a bunch of videos online of how to tie the Usual. Very easy and can be tied in different shades.
I use the shoeshoe on many of my dries as the wing. It really floats the fly well and I'm of the opinion the fish don't see the wing well from under the water unless it's a spinner fall, but that is just my opinion. I've had very good success with them and think the snowshoe hare is a very versitile material.

Tweelo wrote:

What are you trimming on your pheasant tail? Check out the video above. It should help in getting the steps down. Pheasant tail material is pretty fragile. Make sure you take your copper wire and wrap it the opposite way you wrap your pheasant tail. It will keep the fly together a bit longer.

Walts worm = dubbing on a hook. Add lead if necessary.

Get your basic nymphs down before you try dries. Pheasant tails, hares ears, zug bugs. Then try a prince (the biots can get hard to place correctly).

It's a progression. KISS at first, and then gradually try harder patterns.

+ 1 for pheasant tails and hairs ears!

You need to get the basic techniques down, wrapping, ribbing, dubbing, etc. Tie one fly until its perfect, you'll be surprised how easy and how fast to tie the next pattern you attempt perfectly. It is all about the basics and learning to control the material.

BMarx wrote:
You need to get the basic techniques down, wrapping, ribbing, dubbing, etc. Tie one fly until its perfect, you'll be surprised how easy and how fast to tie the next pattern you attempt perfectly. It is all about the basics and learning to control the material.

Completely agree here. That said starting with a pattern such as a pheasant tail which essentially only has a few materials would be smart. Soft Hackles would be another way to go. But all in all BMarx makes a great point.

Back