Good spots to fish in Shenandoah VA, Staunton area

M

mjones32

Hi, I'm going to be spending a few days in August in Staunton VA near Shenandoah National Forest.

Does anyone have recommendations for nice creeks in that area with decent access ?

Thanks !

Fish the streams on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge, those streams maintain better flows then on the west side. There is always the Shenandoah R Branches. North Branch of the Mormons River is good and the closest to Staunton. Walk up past the ford and start fishing above that point. Chances are you won't run into anyone else.

@mjones32...I fish the Shenandoah Valley fairly often. Chaz provided some good advice but the flows in Shenandoah National Park are typically low this time of year. With low flows come higher water temperatures, spooky fish and an abundance of water snakes. As such, I usually avoid the park until fall. Your best bets are the three limestone springs- Mossy, Beaver and Smith Creeks. All three are governed by special regs, have cold water temps and plenty of fish. The Upper South River trophy trout water in Waynesboro is also an excellent choice. The aforementioned four streams are very convenient to where you will be staying. If you want to do the native brookie thing, I'd recommend the Dry River along Rt. 33 North of Rawley Springs. The Dry has plenty of tributaries flowing that infuse cold water to keep the mainstem in good shape. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. The Mossy Creek Fly Shop in Harrisonburg, VA would be a good resource for you as well.

Thanks guys, this looks like great information. Much appreciated, especially the snake info ! Cheers.

Thought I'd document where I ended up for reference. My better half wasn't up for too much hiking so we did not do any forest wild trout streams but I did find some nice spots on stocked creeks with very easy access/

South River, North Park , Waynesboro, VA = nice delayed harvest stretch, cool water, good flow, good gradient, wooded banks. Caught a few chub on dry.

South River , Ridgeview Park, Waynesboro, VA = slower flow, more open, public park feel. Less attractive for fly fishing but I think you could hike upstream to better area. Caught a couple of bluegill on dry and moved on.

Maury River, Glen Maury Park, Buena Vista, VA. Bigger stream in a beautiful setting, the locals told me the trout were long gone so I popped a muddler in the shadey areas and got some big bluegills and a couple of smallies.

@mjones32...I fish the Shenandoah Valley fairly often. Chaz provided some good advice but the flows in Shenandoah National Park are typically low this time of year. With low flows come higher water temperatures, spooky fish and an abundance of water snakes. As such, I usually avoid the park until fall. Your best bets are the three limestone springs- Mossy, Beaver and Smith Creeks. All three are governed by special regs, have cold water temps and plenty of fish. The Upper South River trophy trout water in Waynesboro is also an excellent choice. The aforementioned four streams are very convenient to where you will be staying. If you want to do the native brookie thing, I'd recommend the Dry River along Rt. 33 North of Rawley Springs. The Dry has plenty of tributaries flowing that infuse cold water to keep the mainstem in good shape. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. The Mossy Creek Fly Shop in Harrisonburg, VA would be a good resource for you as well.
Hi! My dad has always dreamed of fishing the Shenandoah river. He hasn't been in the best health recently and I want to try to make it happen. He prefers to catfish. Are there any local cabins to stay at on the river or a good, safe place to camp that would be good to fish? Thanks in advance

Hi! My dad has always dreamed of fishing the Shenandoah river. He hasn't been in the best health recently and I want to try to make it happen. He prefers to catfish. Are there any local cabins to stay at on the river or a good, safe place to camp that would be good to fish? Thanks in advance
How much are you looking to spend each night for a cabin w/direct access to the river?

Harpers Ferry is a good float, but a usually fish the Shenandoah near the house.

Harpers Ferry is a good float, but a usually fish the Shenandoah near the house.
I've fished plenty of smallmouth in Northern VA. I always found the Shenandoah system lacking compared to the Juniata/Susky.

I've never explored the trout water in the national park.

The South Fork Shenandoah has real good Small mouth fishing. I wade fished in the Elkton area last year and really enjoyed it. Get an early start, a lot of tubers/floaters later in the day in summer.

FYI. Closure not sure if this comes into play for you.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.png
    IMG_0564.png
    257.8 KB · Views: 7
Back