good read on steelhead !

sandfly

sandfly

http://graydrakelodgeandoutfitters.blogspot.com/2015/11/where-have-all-steelhead-gone.html

I actually really enjoyed this read. I know for 95% of my fishing as a whole I am totally ok with catching little to nothing.particularly when it comes to my fly fishing. Fishing my local Cumberland valley streams has taught me an extream amount of patience and respect for the intelligence of trout. Three fish days on big spring are real spirit boosters for me. BUT...

For whatever reason I always hold my steelhead fishing to such a higher standard. Im not sure if its because the amazing days ive had the beautiful memories the crips autumn air or flat out being spoiled.I need to stop this type of thinking. I think fishermen as a whole and of all generations love to live in the past. We all get very rhapsodic when we dream of past fishing days. We remember all the fish we caught and how big they were. But at times forget the people we were with the laughs and the scenery.

The author of this article is completly right. I would defiantly rather be standing in a stream catching nothing than sitting in a hospital bed. Plus id rather fish all day to catch one steelhead than go to work any day. In many ways I suppose I am very lucky to have ever even caught a Salmon or a Steelhead. Coming from a family with not tons of money and not being all that very wealthy myself does not provide me with many trips to the west coast. We all likely take this resource for granted and should enjoy what we have left. Plus if things are truly dire for our great lakes Salmon/Trout fisheries maybe its time to appricate it even more. Great post Sandfly!

Back