Good news for the upper Delaware River

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
NYC is finally addressing the leaky aqueduct problem for their drinking water leading from the Delaware River reservoirs.

From the article, the present system has been leaking 15-35 million gallons per day for last 25 years. The new aquaduct being bored under the Hudson River will stop this loss and lessen the amount of water drawn needed to be from the D reservoirs. A good thing.

New Aqueduct

I took the figure of 20 million gallons lost a day for a year is 7,300,000,000 gallons or if my math is correct about 182.5 billion gallons over 25 years.

That is more water than the combined totals of Cannonsville, Rondout, and the Neversink reservoirs.

My understanding is that project has been underway for 15-20 years AND was to be completed 2-3 years ago. Who knows what's accurate but it will be a day for celebrating once it's done.

I thought fixing the leaks would permit a release of 750 - 1000 from Cannonsville April through October and a release of 500 or so from Pepacton during the same time frame.

At least they aren't drilling holes in the dam this week. LOL. The new flow plan should be a good Improvement for the 2018 season

Andy wrote;

I thought fixing the leaks would permit a release of 750 - 1000 from Cannonsville April through October and a release of 500 or so from Pepacton during the same time frame.

Wow, if that were to be the flow regime it would be awesome although a 750 cfs flow would be virtually impossible to wade in the narrower sections of the WB. I'm sure the guides would love it.

krayfish2 wrote:
My understanding is that project has been underway for 15-20 years AND was to be completed 2-3 years ago. Who knows what's accurate but it will be a day for celebrating once it's done.

At least they aren't drilling holes in the dam this week. LOL. The new flow plan should be a good Improvement for the 2018 season

The project started in 2013. The boring machine in the pic (pretty awesome) is scheduled to run pretty much 24hrs a day for 6 days / week and new tunnel is expected to be connected in 2022.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this. Noea is awesome.

Whats up Andy, hope you are doing good

Where can i find details on the new flow plan?

Sorry to hijack, but am I reading the plan correctly in that the new release from pepacton under normal conditions is 300cfs?

I just got a notice about an agreement on a new flow plan, I'm thinking it was around Christmas when I received it.

Back